Amazing Images of the Day: Mountain Top Removal
Posted by feww on August 27, 2008
Coal is good for you! Don’t let a mountain or two stand in your way!
Mountaintop removal near Hazard (Perry County, KY). Image may be subject to copyright.
In West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee and eastern Kentucky, coal companies blast as much as 600 feet off the top of the mountains, then dump the rock and debris into mountain streams.
Over 300,000 acres of the most beautiful and productive hardwood forests in America have already been turned into barren grasslands. Mountaintop removal mining increases flooding, contaminates drinking water supplies, cracks foundations of nearby homes, and showers towns with dust and noise from blasting. (Photo and Caption:The Mountaintop Removal Road Show).
Related Links (Must Watch Videos)
- Mountaintop Removal Section of “The Appalachians” Part 2
- “The Appalachians” Mountaintop Removal Sequence
- Toxic West Virginia: Mountaintop Removal- Episode 1
- Toxic West Virginia – Part 2
- Toxic West Virginia – Part 3
- Toxic West Virginia – Part 4
- Toxic West Virginia – Part 5