Cyclone RENE (TC 15P) Update 5 (15 Feb)
Posted by feww on February 15, 2010
Cyclone RENE Continues to Pummel Tonga Islands
Having killed at least one person, leaving behind a trail of destruction in the American Samoa (despite false media reports to the contrary), Cyclone RENE continues to lash the island groups of Tonga with wind gusts of 200 km/hr and heavy rain.
According to two different reports, the roofs are being torn off building, trees ripped out of the ground, with power and communication lines cut off on the Vava’u and Ha’apai island groups.
RENE is now headed toward the Tongan capital of Nuku’Alofa on the main island of Tongatapu.
Tropical Cyclone RENE – IR-WV Difference Satellite Image – Source: UW-CIMSS. Click image to enlarge.
- RENE Headed Toward Tonga
- RENE Heading West
- RENE Hovering Near PAGO-PAGO
- Slow Forward Motion May Help RENE to Strengthen
Tropical Cyclone RENE (TC 15P) Details
- Date/Time: 15 February 2010 – 00:01 UTC
- Position: Near 19.6ºS, 174.4ºW
- Sustained Movement: 245 degrees
- Forward speed: 19 km/hr (~ 10 kt)
- Tropical Cyclone RENE has been tracking SOUTHWEST over the past 6 hours.
Current Wind Distribution:
- Maximum Sustained winds: ~ 165km (~ 90 kt)
- Maximum Gusts: ~ 205 km/hr (~ 110 kt)
- RENE is now a Cat 2B Hurricane on FEWW New Hurricane Scale.
- The cyclone is expected to begin losing its intensity sharply within the next 24 hours due to cooler sea surface temperatures and high vertical wind shear.
Wave Height and Location:
- Maximum significant wave height: ~ 9m (27 ft)
- Location: TC RENE was located about 880 km (~ 475 NM) Southeast of NADI, FIJI.
- Sources: CIMSS, JTWC and Others
Additional Satellite Imagery
NOAA East Pacific Floater 1 GOES Satellite Imagery – Cyclone FIFTEEN (TC 15P)
- Visible Image - Java - Flash
- IR AVN Image - Java - Flash
- IR Shortwave Image - Java - Flash
- IR Dvorak* Image - Java - Flash
- IR Unenhanced Image - Java - Flash
- IR JSL Image - Java - Flash
- IR RGB Image - Java - Flash
- IR Funktop Image - Java - Flash
- IR Rainbow Image - Java - Flash
- Water Vapor Image - Java - Flash
See also: UW- CIMSS Cyclone Portal