Floods Kill 32 on Portuguese Island of Madeira
Posted by feww on February 21, 2010
Storm, Floods, Mudslides Target another Popular Tourist Destination
Heavy Storm, Extreme Rain, Torrential Floods and Massive Mudslides Bring Disaster to Portugal’s Atlantic Island of Madeira
At least 32 people were killed and up to a 100 others injured on the island of Madeira after heavy storms brought a violent downpour to the Atlantic island, flooding the popular tourist destination the local government reported Saturday.
“The areas of Funchal and Ribeira Brava suffered from major floods and mudslides, and that’s where we have most of the 32 dead. Some people are also unaccounted for,” said Pedro Barbosa, deputy chief of the regional civil protection service in Madeira.
“Now the weather conditions have improved and we are starting to evaluate the damage,” he said, Reuters reported.
The rains caused large-scale flooding and massive mudslides throughout the island, blocking roads and forcing airports on the island to shut down.
The 120km-per-hour winds and floods uprooted trees, washed away bridges and roads, damaged or destroyed many homes and smashed dozens of cars on the island.
Funchal, the island’s capital (about 1,000km south of Portuguese capital, Lisbon), was probably the worst affected areas by the floods and mudslides in an unusually rainy February.
Cars are washed down a hillside by floodwaters near Funchal, the Madeira Island’s capital, Saturday, February 20, 2010. Photo: AP. image may be subject to copyright.
Saturday’s disaster was reportedly the deadliest on Madeira since October 1993, when storms and floods killed eight people.
NO GAS SOLD AT THIS STATION UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE! [Original caption: A man looks on with a camera while floodwaters flow through a gas station and the streets of downtown Funchal, Madeira February 20, 2010. Credit: REUTERS/Duarte Sa. Image may be subject to copyright.
- More Photos: Reuters Photo Gallery
- Italian Town Buried by Mud Avalanche
- 2010: Year One of Human-Enhanced Disasters
- Extreme Rain Events, Floods, Mudslides 2010
- 2010: The Year of Disasters
- Earthquake, Heavy Rain, Mudslides Strike Peru
- Image of the Day: Landslide in Honduras
Possibly related links:
- U.S. power plant explosion kills 50*
- Major Blackout Plunges Brazil into Darkness
- Murphy’s law has no time vector!
- The First Wave of the World’s Collapsing Cities
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- State of the World
- Failing Ecosystems
- Point of NO return
- Human Impact on Nature
- Is a Future Possible?
- Can Humans Enter the Next Phase of the Future?
- What Florida Might Look Like in 2014