Beijing Buried in Heavy Smog – Take 4
Posted by feww on January 29, 2013
DISASTER CALENDAR SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,138 Days Left
[January 29, 2013] Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
- SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,138 Days Left to the most Fateful Day in Human History
- Symbolic countdown to the ‘worst day’ in human history began on May 15, 2011 …
Global Disasters/ Significant Events
Beijingers choking by ‘worst fog ever’
Round 4 of heavy smog in less than 4 weeks, described by Beijingers as the ‘worst fog ever,’ enveloped the Chinese capital on Monday, worsening on Tuesday, and severely affecting visibility in large portions of the city, Xinhua reported.
The pea soup fog reduced visibility in downtown Beijing to such extent that office workers could no longer see the building tops.
Putrid air has caused a surge in respiratory illnesses, especially among children and the elderly, the report said.
A pediatric hospital in downtown Beijing has treated a record 9,000 children this month, mostly flu, pneumonia, tracheitis, bronchitis and asthma patients.
Air quality in Beijing on Tuesday hit 517 on an index maintained by the U.S. Embassy in the Chinese capital, which described the pollution as “Beyond Index,” said Reuters.
- The choking smog enveloped several cities, covering a total area of 1.3 million square kilometers Tuesday, said the Ministry of Environmental Protection (MEP).
- Heavy Smog Entombs Beijing Again January 23, 2013
- Breathtaking Beijing January 14, 2013
- Hazardous Air Warnings in Beijing as Landslide Kills Dozens in SW China January 12, 2013
Egypt could collapse if political crisis continues
Egypt’s army chief warned today that the state could collapse should the current political turmoils continue.
- At least 60 people have been killed in the past 4 days as protesters across much of Egypt battle the police.
- “The continuation of the conflict between the different political forces and their differences over how the country should be run could lead to the collapse of the state and threaten future generations,” said the army chief, who is also the country’s defense minister.
- “The military is Egypt’s most powerful institution and was the de facto ruler since a 1952 coup by army officers seized power and later toppled the monarchy,” said a report.
Australian floods force evacuation of thousands in 2 states
- Burnett River burst its banks, flooding at least 2,000 homes in Bundaberg, Queensland.
- The river was expected to peak above 9.6m, some 1.5m above the 2010 flood level.
- “Those flood levels will be one of the highest levels recorded for the whole of the Bundaberg and Burnett region,” said Queensland Police Minister.
- About 8,000 people have been displaced across the flooded city.
- The storm cell moved south triggering extreme rain in parts of New South Wales, prompting the forced evacuation of at least 2,500 residents in the city of Grafton, as rising water threatened the levees.
- Final Eviction Notice to Australians? January 28, 2013