Deadly Earthquake Hits SW China’s Sichuan Province
Posted by feww on April 20, 2013
UPDATE 5 [12:00 UTC] – 124 confirmed dead, 2,700 injured (350 severely), unknown number trapped
- UPDATE 4 [09:00 UTC] – 104 confirmed dead, 2,500+ injured (150 seriously), unknown number trapped, 32 survivors out of rubble
A military vehicle carrying 17 soldiers to the quake-hit area in Sichuan plunged 20 meters off a cliff on Saturday, killing at least one soldier and injuring 7 others, a report quoting military sources said.
- UPDATE 3 [08:00 UTC] – 78 confirmed dead, 2,200 injured, unknown number trapped
- UPDATE 2 [05:00 UTC] – 46 confirmed dead, 600 injured, unknown number trapped
- UPDATE 1 [04:00UTC] – Sichuan quake kills at least 80, injures about 500, unknown number trapped
Powerful Earthquake Kills at least 5, injures more than 100 in China
A 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit Lushan county of Ya’an city in southwest China’s Sichuan Province at 8:02 a.m. Saturday Beijing Time [00:02 UTC,] the China Earthquake Networks Center (CENC) reported.
- The shallow quake occurred at a depth of 13km [centered at 30.284°N, 102.956°E, according to USGS] said the provincial seismological bureau.
- The quake has killed at least 5 people and left more than 100 injured, reported the government of Lushan county, as of posting.
- The quake was strongly felt in Sichuan’s capital city of Chengdu, about 140 kilometers from Ya’an, reportedly for as long as 20 seconds.
- The quake was also felt in provinces of Guizhou, Gansu, Shaanxi and Yunnan, the report said.
The quake, registered as a 6.6Mw shock by USGS/EHP, was followed by several significant aftershocks.
EQ Location Map. Source: USGS/EHP. Map enhanced by FIRE-EARTH
“Red alert level for economic losses. Extensive damage is probable and the disaster is likely widespread. Estimated economic losses are less than 1% of GDP of China. Past events with this alert level have required a national or international level response. Orange alert level for shaking-related fatalities. Significant casualties are likely.” —USGS/EHP
The epicenter was close to that of the massive quake [2008 Sichuan earthquake, 31.021°N,103.367°E] that killed 70,000 people [figure quoted by Chinese government,] and left more than 5 million people homeless.
Sichuan is one of China’s four major natural-gas-producing provinces, and accounts for 14 percent of the country’s total output, said a report.
- Another Deadly Earthquake Cluster Hits China Posted on August 31, 2008
- China Quake 1st Anniversary Posted on May 12, 2009
DISASTER CALENDAR – April 20, 2013 —
SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,057 Days Left
Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
- SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,057 Days Left to ‘Worst Day’ in the brief Human History
- The countdown began on May 15, 2011 …
- WARNING: Human impact 2.85 x Earth’s diminishing carrying capacity
- WARNING: RAPID PLANETARY DECLINE IN PROGRESS!
- Europe: The First Phase of Collapse Has Started
- United States: The First Phase of Collapse Has Begun
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background