Central Oklahoma Tornadoes – Preliminary Damage Assessment
Posted by feww on June 2, 2013
Preliminary Tornado Survey Results by NWS
- Total number of buildings destroyed or damaged: Not known/undisclosed, as of posting.
- Number of fatalities: VNV
- Injuries: More than 100, according to media reports.
- The violent storms triggered widespread flooding.
- The first tornado developed around 5:55 pm CDT near El Reno. This storm then moved east to southeast into western and central portions of Oklahoma City, producing other tornadoes. (NWS)
- Other storms developed to the west and moved over the same areas as the first storm. This produced significant flooding in the Oklahoma City metro. (NWS)
Missouri Gov. Nixon declared a state of emergency due to severe storm damage and widespread flooding. An EF-3 tornado caused extensive damage leaving behind a 22-mile path of destruction from St. Charles County into St. Louis County on Friday.
An EF-2 tornado hit Madison County in southwestern Illinois, causing damage to buildings.
A second tornado, also an EF-2, touched down in neighboring Macoupin County, causing damage to dozens of buildings buildings, said an emergency management official.
- “We had houses twisted off foundations, houses with roofs taken off,” he said.
- A total of 20 tornadoes struck 7 states (OK, ND, KS, MO, IA, IN and IL) on Friday May 31, SPC reported.
- At least 109 tornadoes struck 16 states (AR, NE, TX, NY, WI, WY, PA, MI, CO, OK, ND, KS, MO, IA, IN and IL) starting May 27 through May 31.
- Deadly Tornadoes Attack Oklahoma Again June 1, 2013
- Tornado Emergency Issued in Oklahoma City June 1, 2013
- Severe Weather Plagues the North, South, Midwest May 30, 2013
- Active or Extremely Active 2013 Atlantic Hurricane Season: NOAA May 24, 2013
- DISASTER Diary – 23 May 2013 May 23, 2013
- OKC Mega Tornado: Fact and Fiction May 21, 2013
- DISASTER Diary – 21 May 2013 May 21, 2013
- Massive Deadly Tornado Rips Across Oklahoma City Suburbs May 20, 2013
- Powerful Tornadoes Strike in Six U.S. States May 20, 2013
- Rising Temperatures, Red Flag Warnings and Erupting Volcanoes May 18, 2013