Calif Wildfire Burns 864km²
Posted by feww on August 31, 2013
RIM FIRE: Very active fire behavior reported
The ferocious wildfire in California’s Stanislaus National Forest has grown to 213,414 acres (333.5mi², or 864km²), with 35% containment.
Smoke, in addition to the fire, is becoming a major concern throughout the Yosemite National Park and the surrounding areas.
Smoke from wildfires in the Americas. Source: NOAA/ NESDIS
- A Mandatory Evacuation has been issued for residences north of Old Yosemite Road (Forest Road 2S01). Highway 120 at the Yosemite National Park boundary west to Buck Meadows has been evacuated. Evacuation centers are at the Mother Lode Fairgrounds in Sonora and at the Greeley Hill Community Center.
- An Evacuation Warning has been issued for all residences north of Bull Creek Road (Forest Road 2S02), Bondurant Mine Road, Texas Hill Road, and Wampum Hill.
- The evacuation advisory remains in effect for Ponderosa Hills and areas east, along the south side of Highway 108 up to Pinecrest.
- Very active fire behavior on the east side of the fire today with running surface fire, torching and passive and sustained crown fire runs with considerable amounts of spotting. Moderate fire behavior with backing fire observed where fire was burning from ridgetops downslope.
- Acres Burned: 213,414 acres
- Containment: 35% contained
- Structures Threatened: 5,506 (4,500 residences, 1,000 outbuildings, 6 commercial)
- Structures Destroyed: 111 (11 residences, 97 outbuildings, 3 commercial)
- Total Fire Personnel: 4,844
- Total Fire Engines: 466Total Fire crews: 110
- Total Helicopters: 29
- Total Dozers: 87
- Total Water Tenders: 55
[Other aircraft, including DC 10s have also deployed. Editor]
Growth Potential: Extreme
Terrain Difficulty: Extreme
Fuels Involved: Brush, Oaks, and Pine
Wind Conditions: 15 mph SW
Temperature: 89 degrees
Estimated Containment Date: Friday September 20th, 2013 approx. 12:00 AM
Last Updated: August 30, 2013 18:30 PDT
Sourced from: Stanislaus National Forest / CAL FIRE Tuolumne-Calaveras Unit and Inciweb
Links and Background Information
- State of Emergency Declared for Mariposa County, CA August 30, 2013
- RIM FIRE Becomes 5th Largest in Calif. History August 30, 2013