RENE Headed Toward Tonga
At its current intensity and forecast track, Cyclone RENE could cause major damage to Tonga Isls.
Cyclone RENE could strike Hunga Island, the smaller islands to its SSW, and cause major damage to Tongatapu and Eua Islands.
An archipelago in the S. Pacific Ocean, Tonga is located south of Western Samoa. Its 176 islands (only 36 of them inhabited) are divided into three main groups: Vava’u, Ha’apai, and Tongatapu). The largest island, Tongatapu, covers about 258 sq. km (~ 100 sq. mi) and is home to the capital city of Nukuʻalofa.
The island of Niue must already be experiencing some of the peripheral forces of RENE, as it passes by.
Tropical Cyclone RENE – IR-WV Difference Satellite Image – Source: UW-CIMSS. Click image to enlarge.
Tropical Cyclone RENE (TC 15P) Details
- Date/Time: 14 February 2010 – 01:00 UTC
- Position: Near 16.5ºS, 171.0ºW
- Sustained Movement: 215 degrees
- Forward speed: 22 km/hr (~ 12 kt)
- Tropical Cyclone RENE has been tracking SOUTHWEST over the past 6 hours.
Current Wind Distribution:
- Maximum Sustained winds: ~ 175km (~ 95 kt)
- Maximum Gusts: ~ 230 km/hr (~ 125 kt)
- RENE is now a Cat 2B Hurricane on FEWW New Hurricane Scale and could further strengthen to Cat 3B on the scale in the next 24 hours.
Wave Height and Location:
- Maximum significant wave height: ~ 9m (27 ft)
- Location: TC RENE was located about 240 km (~ 130 NM) SSW of Pago-Pago
- Sources: CIMSS, JTWC and Others
Additional Satellite Imagery
NOAA East Pacific Floater 1 GOES Satellite Imagery – Cyclone FIFTEEN (TC 15P)
- Visible Image - Java - Flash
- IR AVN Image - Java - Flash
- IR Shortwave Image - Java - Flash
- IR Dvorak* Image - Java - Flash
- IR Unenhanced Image - Java - Flash
- IR JSL Image - Java - Flash
- IR RGB Image - Java - Flash
- IR Funktop Image - Java - Flash
- IR Rainbow Image - Java - Flash
- Water Vapor Image - Java - Flash
See also: UW- CIMSS Cyclone Portal
- Cyclone RENE Update 3 (13 Feb)
- Cyclone RENE (TC 15P) Update 2 (13 Feb)
- Cyclone RENE (TC 15P) Update 1 (12 Feb)
- Introducing Tropical Cyclone Fifteen (Cyclone RENE)
- FEWW Satellite Imagery Links Page