Comparative Advantage Theory = Large Scale Food-borne Infection
Economic Theories Turned on Their Heads [Hands Down]
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has advised multiple food companies to recall HUNDREDS of varied products that contain a food additive, found to be infected by salmonella.
The product is a commonly used flavor enhancer named ‘hydrolyzed vegetable protein,’ or HVP, processed by Basic Food Flavors Inc, a Las Vegas-based company.
HVP is used in tens of thousands of processed food products retailed throughout the U.S., and represents about 1.5% of the ingredients in packaged foods.
It takes just a single ingredient processed by a single manufacturer to infect a large proportion of the food you eat.
Even the dinosaurs had better survival odds!
List of Companies in Recent Food Recalls
Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
- Blue Line Foodservice Distribution voluntarily recalls “Spice Paks” - call 800.722.3727
- Walong Marketing, Inc. Expands Nationwide Voluntary Recall Flying Horse Sesame Chewy Candy Due to Undeclared Peanuts. Contact: 714-670-8899
- McCain Foods USA Announces Voluntary Recall of Frozen Potato Product Containing Black Pepper. Contact: 877-804-6198
- C. H. Guenther & Son, Inc. Announces Nationwide Recall of several products that contain pepper: contact CH Guenther at 1-800-847-5608
- John B. Sanfilippo & Son, Inc. Recalls Snack Mix and Cashew Products Due to Possible Health Risk [Contact: (800) 316-6151.]
- Kroger Amends Code Date on Recalled Seasoning Blend Garlic Powder http://www.kroger.com/
- Spice Barn, Inc. - Black Pepper [call Spice Barn at 1-866-670-9040 ]
- C. H. Guenther & Son, Inc. – Recall of several products that contain pepper [contact C. H Guenther at 1-800-847-5608]
- Produce Valley, Inc. Initiates Voluntary Recall Due to Possible Health Risk Associated with Recalled Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (HVP) by Basic Food Flavors, Inc. [call Produce Valley, Inc. at (888) 305-1171]
- Barcel Tostachos contains hydrolyzed vegetable protein (HVP) manufactured by Basic Food Flavors, Inc. [contact Barcel at (800) 354 3372]
- GFN Foods, LLC [contact GFN Foods at 866-761-6147]
- Emmi – Roth Käse USA Announces Recall of Spreadables brand
Crab Creole and Shrimp Scampi Cheese Spreads – [Emmi-Roth Käse USA at 608.328.2122]
- Tastefully Simple Issues – Toasted Garlic & Parmesan Cheese Ball Mix [call 1.800.235.4513]
- Julia’s Spices Inc – Hulled Sesame Seeds [call at 626-369-5525]
- Spice Industrial Inc. Recalls Lian How White Sesame Seeds [call 626-854-8880]
- Salmonella Risk Prompts 4th Massive Food Recall [March 11]
- Anything Salmonella Free? [March 10]
- More Food Recalls [March 10]
- More Salmonella Food Recalls [March 6]
- How old is your ecoli-burger?
- Calif Massive Food Recall
- U.S. FBI Cost $500 Per Head in Healthcare, Losses
- Listeria Prompts Food Recall
- Listeria Suspected, Cheese Recalled
- Virgin Blue liable for chicken-wrap compensation: lawyer
- Airlines & Aviation Industry, Airline Safety, Air Travel …
- Imported Food Alert 22 Oct 2008
- Should You Be Afraid, Really Afraid?
- Outbreak of Dangerous Group A Streptococcus Bacterium in NZ
- Peanut butter scare changes lunchbox rituals
- General Mills recalls more peanut products
- Peanut butter scare changes lunchbox rituals [Video]
- Audit urged for FDA-state pacts after peanut scare
- Peanut Corporation of America Bites the Dust