Polar Ice Caps
Arctic Sea Ice; Antarctic Ice Shelves; Related News, Analysis and Links
Daily image update
Sea ice data updated daily, with one-day lag. Orange line in extent image (left) and gray line in time series (right) indicate 1979 to 2000 average extent for the day shown. Click for high-resolution image. Learn about update delays, which occasionally occur in near-real-time data. Read about the data. Credit: National Snow and Ice Data Center
Sea Surface Temperatures
GOES Floater Imagery – 30 minute updates
Atlantic Views GOES-East
Atlantic Wide View Infrared Image
Western Atlantic IR (color enhanced) Image
Pacific Wide View Infrared Image
North East Pacific IR (color enhanced) Image
Above Images: NOAA National Hurricane Center
GOES satellite images: GOES 12 infrared image
Atlantic Tropical Cyclone Activity
See also Weather for more images.
GOES East – Eastern U.S. Imagery
An aviation color enhancement of a satellite image. GEOS Eastern U.S. Imagery, NOAA SSD.
[Updated every 30 minutes.]
GOES West – West U.S. Coast Imagery
An aviation color enhancement of a satellite image. GEOS West West U.S. Coast Imagery, NOAA SSD.
[Updated every 30 - 60 minutes.]
[To view full size image, right-click on the target image and choose View Image ]
MTSAT Tropical Imagery: West Pacific – Wide View
MTSAT Tropical Imagery: East & Central Pacific – Wide View
GOES Northeast Pacific Imagery
GOES West – Central Pacific Imagery
MTSAT Northwest Pacific Imagery
GOES Eastern East Pacific Imagery
GOES East Full Disk Pictures
GOES East Full Disk – images are updated every three (3) hours.
GOES West Full Disk – images are updated every three (3) hours.
From the Indian Ocean Date Coverage (IODC) – Images are updated every six (6) hours
MTSAT – Fulldisk Global Images (Images are updated every hour)
METEOSAT- Fulldisk Global Satellite Images (Images are updated every six (6) hours)
Western Conus Sector (Infrared Channel) – National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
[For IR data, the highest pixel values correspond to the coldest temperatures.]
- Anthropogenic Hell Melting Icebox Posted on September 13, 2012
- Image of the Day: ASIE Posted on September 7, 2012
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent Could Fall to 3M Km² Posted on September 3, 2012
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent Down to 3.87M km² and Melting Posted on August 31, 2012
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent Breaks Record Low and Melting Posted on August 28, 2012
- Arctic Sea Ice Extent Rapidly Decreasing Posted on August 21, 2012
- Arctic sea ice may fall to record lows Posted on September 7, 2011
- 2011 warmest year with La Niña event Posted on November 30, 2011
- The Balding Arctic Sea Posted on October 6, 2010
- Arctic Ice Affects Global Climate, Weather Posted on March 17, 2010
- 133,000,000 Wise Monkeys Posted on March 16, 2010
- December Ocean Temperature 2nd Warmest Posted on January 23, 2010
- Ice of the Past Posted on January 17, 2010
- Decadal Temp Avg Up by 74 pct on 1990s Posted on December 9, 2009
- Polar Ice Caps Posted on September 18, 2009
- Arctic ice cover third-smallest area on record Posted on September 18, 2009
- Arctic Warmest in 2000 Years Posted on September 3, 2009
- Another Ocean Record Broken Posted on August 19, 2009
- Arctic Tundra 4ºC Hotter Since 1970 Posted on July 30, 2009
- Eco-Terrorists on Thin Ice Posted on April 7, 2009
- Guess what, the Arctic temps are 5 ºC warmer! Posted on October 17, 2008
- A Haiku for Earth Posted on September 10, 2008
- Arctic ice cover second-lowest on record Posted on August 28, 2008
- Arctic sea ice has thinned dramatically Posted on July 8, 2009
- Arctic Sea Ice: Likely Record-Low Volume Posted on October 4, 2008
- Critically Endangered Species: Arctic Sea Ice Posted on September 10, 2008
- Drunken Forest Posted on June 11, 2008
- Tipping Point: Here and Now! Posted on April 30, 2008
- Selected Headlines Posted on April 7, 2008
- Climate Change: For what you’re about to receive…
- Arctic Warmest in 2000 Years
- Another Ocean Record Broken
- US glaciers shrinking dramatically
- Alaska: One Fire Away From Exporting Charcoal
- Alaska on Fire
- Arctic Tundra 4ºC Hotter Since 1970
- US Gov Releases Intelligence Images of Arctic Ice
- Strong Quake Strikes Baffin Bay
- The Deadly Dozen, the Dirty Dozen, the Dozen Dozen
- Eco-Terrorists on Thin Ice
- Emerging Patterns of Vanishing Ice Shelves
- STOP Killing Our Oceans!
- Possible Thule Eruption Disastrous for Antarctic Ice
- Alp-sized mountain range encased in Antarctic ice
- Climate Change Finals – CO2: 392 Human Chances: 0
- Image of the Day: Antarctica
- Warmer temperatures destroy forests faster
- If You Thought Antarctica, Too, Must Be Warming
- Earth’s Climate: A Solar Powered System
- WILKINS ICE SHELF IS “HANGING BY A THREAD”
- Ice Melt in Alaska, Antarctica, Greenland Accelerating
- Guess what, the Arctic temps are 5 ºC warmer!
- Antarctic Ozone Depth Down to 100 DU
- Arctic Sea Ice: Likely Record-Low Volume
- Does your mother shoot moose, too?
- Critically Endangered Species: Arctic Sea Ice
- A Haiku for Earth
- Canada’s Ice Shelves Lose Quarter of their Cover
- Palin’s Polar Pests Love Their Cubs, Too!
- Arctic ice cover second-lowest on record
- 3 million acres of spruce killed in Alaska in 15 years
- World CO2 Emissions
- Hilarious Polar Bear News!
- Oh, PLEEZE!
- This’s Got to Be the Year of Radioactive, Chemical and Oil Spills, Too!
- Sea Surface Height Variations
- Is 350 ppm Safe? Hell, NO!
- A Few Extreme Events Away
- Drunken Forest
- Don’t Worry, it’s Only Earth
- Penguins DDT Contamination Levels Still High
- Tipping Point: Here and Now!
- Arctic Marine Mammals on Thin Ice
- Arctic Melting FAST!
- Freshening of deep Antarctic water could prove catasterophic
- Bering Sea Drilling
- A Fast-Warming World
- Oceans, Where Life Started, Are Dying – Part III
- Thought You Were “Safe?”
- Stop the Arctic Madness!
- Greenland Ice Melt Faster Than IPCC Estimates
- More Eco-Terrorism in Antarctica