Hindu Kush Region Earthquake Kills or Injures Dozens
A 5.6Mw earthquake struck 25 km (15 miles) NW of Jalalabad, Afghanistan, killing about a dozen people and injuring many more.
- The quake was centered at 34.517°N, 70.207°E, and struck at a depth of about 60km, Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 09:25 UTC. USGS/EHP reported.
- Many homes have been destroyed, according to reports.
Building collapse in Dhaka, Bangladesh kills nearly 100, injures more than 1,000
A large block housing garment factories and shops collapsed in Dhaka Bangladesh on Wednesday, killing about 100 people and injuring more than a thousand, officials have said.
- 96 bodies have so far been recovered, as the death toll continues to grow.
- “It looks like an earthquake has struck here,” said a local residen.
- Five garment factories, which supply retailers including major brands in Britain, Canad, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Spain and the United States, were housed in the block, despite cracks in the building, said a report.
- “It is dreadful that leading brands and governments continue to allow garment workers to die or suffer terrible disabling injuries in unsafe factories making clothes for Western nations’ shoppers,” said War on Want a U.K. anti-poverty charity.
Massachusetts Disaster Declaration Signed by White House
The White House has declared a major disaster exists in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the area affected by the severe winter storm, snowstorm, and flooding during the period of February 8-9, 2013.
- The worst affected areas include Berkshire, Bristol, Essex, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, Middlesex, Norfolk, Suffolk, and Worcester counties.
Texas Emergency Declaration Signed by White House
The White House has declared an emergency exists in the State of Texas due to the continuing emergency conditions resulting from a catastrophic explosion in McLennan County that occurred April 17, 2013.
Taiwan health authorities have confirmed the country’s first human infection of H7N9 avian flu on Wednesday, said a report.
Health authorities in China have confirmed 4 new cases of human H7N9 avian influenza infection, including two in Zhejiang, one in Anhui and the first case in Shandong province.
- The latest cases raise the total number of H7N9 infections to 108, including 22 fatalities.