Headline News July 22, 2013
At least 75 killed, 400 injured in NW China earthquakes
Magnitude 6.6 quake struck NW China’s Gansu Province killing at least 75 people and leaving more than 400 others injured, most of them seriously.
At least 30,000 homes have been damaged and as many as 2,000 have collapsed after the earthquakes.
The mainshock, which was reported as a magnitude 5.9 event by USGS/EHP, was followed by at least one significant aftershock measuring 5.6Mw, as of posting.
- Time: 2013-07-22 08:45:56 [UTC+09:00]
- Location: 34.499°N, 104.243°E [USGS]
- Depth: 9.8km[USGS], 20km [Official China sources]
Original caption: Photo taken on July 22, 2013 shows a damaged house in quake-hit Majiagou Village of Minxian County, northwest China’s Gansu Province. Fifty-four deaths have so far been confirmed in the 6.6-magnitude earthquake which jolted a juncture region of Minxian County and Zhangxian County in Dingxi City Monday morning. (Xinhua/Tu Guoxi)
Original caption: Photo taken with a mobile phone shows rescuers work in quake-hit Meichuan Town of Minxian County, northwest China’s Gansu Province, July 22, 2013. A 6.6-magnitude earthquake jolted a juncture region of Minxian County and Zhangxian County in Dingxi City Monday morning. (Xinhua). More images …
Deadly Earthquakes in China
- Apr 2013 – M6.6 earthquake in Sichuan province killed at least 160
- Sept 2012 – M5.6 earthquake in Yunnan and Guizhou provinces killed at least 80
- Mar 2011 – M5.4 earthquake in Yunnan province killed at least 22
- Apr 2010 – M6.9 earthquake in Qinghai province killed more than 1,100
- May 2008 – M7.9 earthquake in Sichuan province killed at least 86,000
See blog content for details.
UPDATED Monday July 22, 2013 @ 11:45UTC
July 22, 2013 – SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN –
964 Days Left
FIRE-EARTH Climate Models show climate change forcings and feedbacks switching global weather patterns onto “primordial tracks.”
FIRE-EARTH Population Model shows mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
Critical Planetary Overload
- Critical Overload Threatens Planetary Life Support Systems
- WARNING: RAPID PLANETARY DECLINE IN PROGRESS!
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Back to the Primordial Future
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- Mass Die-offs