Posted by feww on April 24, 2013
Hindu Kush Region Earthquake Kills or Injures Dozens
A 5.6Mw earthquake struck 25 km (15 miles) NW of Jalalabad, Afghanistan, killing about a dozen people and injuring many more.
- The quake was centered at 34.517°N, 70.207°E, and struck at a depth of about 60km, Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 09:25 UTC. USGS/EHP reported.
- Many homes have been destroyed, according to reports.
Building collapse in Dhaka, Bangladesh kills nearly 100, injures more than 1,000
A large block housing garment factories and shops collapsed in Dhaka Bangladesh on Wednesday, killing about 100 people and injuring more than a thousand, officials have said.
- 96 bodies have so far been recovered, as the death toll continues to grow.
- “It looks like an earthquake has struck here,” said a local residen.
- Five garment factories, which supply retailers including major brands in Britain, Canad, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Spain and the United States, were housed in the block, despite cracks in the building, said a report.
- “It is dreadful that leading brands and governments continue to allow garment workers to die or suffer terrible disabling injuries in unsafe factories making clothes for Western nations’ shoppers,” said War on Want a U.K. anti-poverty charity.
Massachusetts Disaster Declaration Signed by White House
The White House has declared a major disaster exists in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the area affected by the severe winter storm, snowstorm, and flooding during the period of February 8-9, 2013.
- The worst affected areas include Berkshire, Bristol, Essex, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, Middlesex, Norfolk, Suffolk, and Worcester counties.
Texas Emergency Declaration Signed by White House
The White House has declared an emergency exists in the State of Texas due to the continuing emergency conditions resulting from a catastrophic explosion in McLennan County that occurred April 17, 2013.
Taiwan health authorities have confirmed the country’s first human infection of H7N9 avian flu on Wednesday, said a report.
Health authorities in China have confirmed 4 new cases of human H7N9 avian influenza infection, including two in Zhejiang, one in Anhui and the first case in Shandong province.
- The latest cases raise the total number of H7N9 infections to 108, including 22 fatalities.
Posted in Global Disaster watch, global disasters, global disasters 2013 | Tagged: Afghan Quake, avian flu, Bangladesh, Dhaka Building collapse, Hindu Kush earthquake, Massachusetts Disaster declaration, McLennan County, Shandong province, Texas Emergency Declaration, Texas explosion | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on January 7, 2012
Drought Destroys up to a third of corn crop in Rio Grande do Sul state, SE Brazil
Disaster declared in 29 municipalities across Brazil’s southernmost state of Rio Grande do Sul, while 54 other municipalities are under a state of emergency as drought destroys up to 30 percent of corn crop.
Disaster Calendar 2012 – January 7
[January 7, 2012] Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016. SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,530 Days Left to the ‘Worst Day’ in Human History
- Southern Brazil. Drought has destroyed up to 30 percent of corn crop across Brazil’s southernmost state of Rio Grande do Sul forcing the authorities to declare 29 municipalities as disaster areas, and place 54 other areas under a state of emergency.
- The drought is affecting at least a third of a million people across the state, the civil defense authorities said.
- In Frederico Westphalen (population 29,000), one of the worst hit areas, soy and corn crops are down by nearly a third, fruit production is reduced by at least a fifth, and 15% of pasture land has been destroyed, reports said.
- Municipal authorities have imposed water rationing, shipping in water by truck.
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Floods are spreading to Brazilian states of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.
- Thousands of people have been evacuated in the town of Campos de Goytacazes in the state of Rio de Janeiro due to flooding, while the civil defense authorities in São Paulo have placed several municipalities under a state of alert.
Other Global Disasters
- Massachusetts, USA. The Disaster President has declared a major disaster exists in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in the areas affected by a severe storm and snowstorm during the period of October 29-30, 2011.
- The worst hit areas are the counties of Berkshire, Franklin, Hampden, Hampshire, Middlesex, and Worcester.
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
Posted in global deluge, Global Disaster watch, global disasters, global drought | Tagged: 2012 disaster calendar, 2012 disasters, brazil deluge, brazil drought, Brazil flooding, Massachusetts Disaster declaration, Pre-Halloween Snowstorm | Leave a Comment »