Winter Officially Starts Today!
Posted by feww on December 20, 2009
A Dry Run for Climate Chaos Heading Our Way
The Heaviest Blanket of Snow in 100 Years Covered Most of the Northeast US Yesterday
The worst December snowstorm since 1909 covered NE US under up to 20 inches of snow.
Washington: The West Wing of the White House is seen buried under heavy snowfall December 19, 2009. Credit: REUTERS/Yuri Gripas. Image may be subject to copyright.
The snow storm has wreaked havoc affecting areas from North Carolina to New England, with blizzard conditions reported in Washington, DC.
Transportation throughout the Mid-Atlantic have all but come to a virtual stop.
In Newton, Massachusetts, Police Department reported that as of 11 p.m. on December 19, 2009 a snow emergency would be in effect for the city of Newton.
Snow across Europe also caused chaos
Snow blanketed most of Europe. Airports were shut in many countries and roads were made impassable as snow covered the continent. The Channel Tunnel was closed after 6 of their trains broke down allegedly due to “cold weather,” with thousands of passengers stranded.
As snow blanketed most of Europe, cities and motorways in France faced major disruption. Photo: AFP. Image may be subject to copyright.
- Heavy snowfall on Friday closed UK airports including two in London, and caused chaos on the UK roads.
- More than half a million pupils were sent home as 1,500 schools closed early.
- Heavy snowfall hit Romania causing major power blackouts and transport problems, with most flights from the capital Bucharest delayed, and many train services canceled.
- In Paris, France, officials asked airlines to cancel 1 in 5 flights into and out of Charles de Gaulle and Orly airports.
- In Belgium, Brussels international airport saw many flights cancelled after snow and ice covered runways.
- Grisons region in Switzerland reported a record low temperature of minus 32 degrees Celsius (-32ºC ~ -25ºF) Friday night.
- In Poland the number of deaths from cold weather jumped by 15, bringing the total to 47 since early December.
- Dusseldorf Airport, Germany’s third largest was shut down as arctic conditions tightened its grip over northern Europe.
The ensuing deluges throughout the Mid-Atlantic and northern Europe may cause even more chaos!
- The World Is Rapidly Collapsing
- Climate Locked into ‘Unending’ El Niño?
- Deadly Winter Storm Paralyzes United States
- UK Flooding
- Deadly Weather in Your Area?
- Murphy’s law has no time vector!
- The Attack of the Cyclones
- California Dry
- SE Australia Toasted Brown
- FEWW Earthquake Links