Fire Earth

Earth is fighting to stay alive. Mass dieoffs, triggered by anthropogenic assault and fallout of planetary defense systems offsetting the impact, could begin anytime!

Archive for March 1st, 2010

Luxair Plane Crash: Don’t Blame it on the Fog

Posted by feww on March 1, 2010

NOTE to OUR Readers:

Fire-Earth is investigating the source which supplied details of a 2nd Luxair plane crash that was previously posted here.

As of posting this notice, there’s NO independent confirmation of a crash.

ANY UPDATE WILL BE POSTED HERE!

UPDATE: March 3, 2010 at 07:00UTC

Fire-Earth is advised that the information sent to the blog originated from  ‘Mail on Line’ an Internet site operated by a UK tabloid owned by Associated Newspapers Ltd, Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group.

The source who supplied the information has forwarded a print screen which show the date as March 2, 2010. Having examined previous records of a Luxair plane crash that occurred on November 6, 2002, the Moderators have concluded that recent item by ‘Mail on Line’ is in fact a description of the 2002 plane crash, which was erroneously dated possibly for commercial purposes.

Fire-Earth therefore confirms that based on the information available to the blog, NO Luxair plane was involved in a crash on March 2, 2010 as previously thought.


Print Screen from the UK-based Mail on Line Website. URL:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-146298/Seventeen-killed-Luxembourg-air-crash.html Accessed March 3, 2010. Image may be subject to copyright.

Luxair Disaster 2002


Luxair Fokker 50 crash 2002 was blamed on fog.
However, subsequent investigations revealed that simultaneous ‘rapid’ power loss in the two Pratt & Whitney Canada PW125B engines was responsible for the crash that killed 20 of 22 peopel aboard.  (Photo: editpress). Image may be subject to copyright.

Related Links:


Posted in Berlin, German passengers, Luxembourg Plane Crash, Niederanven, Tempelhof International Airport | Tagged: , , , , , , | Leave a Comment »

Santiago, Chile: Satellite Images

Posted by feww on March 1, 2010

Santiago From Space

Satellite Images of Santiago Before and After the M8.8 Megaquake Struck

After: Image acquired by NASA MODIS on February 27, 2010

Large image (27 Feb) available here.   

Before: Image acquired on February 23

Large image (23 Feb) available here

AFTER: Collapsing buildings and fires caused by the megaquake may have been responsible for the black smoke and dust that hung over Santiago, Chile after the 8.8-magnitude event occurred at Dichato, Chile on February 27, 2010.

BEFORE: The lower image was taken 4 days earlier under clear-sky conditions. 
Image Credit: NASA

Related Links:

Posted in Chile Quake, chile quake images, Concepción, earthquake, Earthquake aftermath, santiago | Tagged: , , , | 2 Comments »

Chile Earthquake Update 2 (Mar 1)

Posted by feww on March 1, 2010

“No Danger of a Tsunami,” Chileans Were Told!

Death toll from Chile megaquake and tsunami surges over 720

“It’s an enormous catastrophe … there’s a growing number of missing people,” Chilean President Bachelet said, as her government dispatched 10,000 troops to enforce curfews in the worst hit areas, especially Chile’s second largest city Concepcion, and prevent alleged outbreaks of looting.

The surviving victims are desperate for food and water, making the government’s “iron-fist” response highly questionable.

The massive 8.8-magnitude earthquake that struck about 115km north-northeast of Concepcion on Saturday, has left many people homeless, and many more have stayed outdoors in tents or makeshift shelters fearing the deadly aftershocks that are powerful earthquakes to be reckoned with.

The megaquake has destroyed or damaged probably as many as half a million homes, wrecked bridges, highways and other infrastructure. There’s  widespread power cuts throughout most of the country.

Criminal Negligence by the Chilean Authorities

Once again fatal errors made by an incompetent military proved fatal for many ordinary Chileans. Many lives could have been saved if the he government experts had sought independent advice concerning the certainty of a tsunami.

It has now been revealed the Chilean government declared immediately after the megaquake struck offshore Maule, “there would be no danger of a tsunami.”  Their fatal error, which they now blame on “incorrect data” supplied by their “Navy experts” probably doubled the death toll as it now stands.

It’s difficult to believe that the average earthquake “expert” would consider an 8.8Mw earthquake striking offshore, especially in an area with previous records of deadly quakes and fatal tsunamis as “no danger.”

Surely, even a university freshman with some understanding of geophysics, earthquakes and tsunamis, and knowledge of earthquake history in the area, facing a magnitude 8.8 quake, could have put two and two together,  at least erring on the side of caution.

The authorities in Japan, a country almost halfway across the world from Chile, took the precautionary measure of evacuating more than a million of their citizens from coastal areas to protect them against potential tsunamis caused by the Dichato quake.

How could the Chilean authorities make such an incomprehensible mistake with such catastrophic consequences?

Aftershocks Update

10-degree Map Centered at 35°S,70°W

Latest EQ Location map. Source: USGS/EHP. Enhanced by FEWW

Since FEWW Chilean Disasters Update # 1 posted yesterday, at least 40 additional aftershock have struck central Chile, with two events measuring M6.0 or greater. The aftershocks should continue to occur for sometime.

Image of the Day


Cars and Dogs seeking safety on higher grounds in case “Navy experts” had made a mistake about the tsunami. [Original caption: Debris is washed up by waves generated by a major earthquake near the epicenter in Dichato February 28, 2010. Credit: REUTERS/Jose Luis Saavedra. Image may be subject to copyright.
]

FEWW Estimate of the Quake Damage

Based on the preliminary information available, Fire-Earth Moderators estimate the cost of damage from Saturday’s megaquake at about US$10 billion.

The Moderators believe the Chileans should consider the earthquake and subsequent tsunami disasters as an opportunity and re-build their communities as eco-centered, low-carbon, intelligent communities.

Any more mistakes made by the authorities in the way they handle the quake and tsunami aftermaths could prove even more catastrophic in the near future.

Related Links:

Related Images:


Posted in Chile Earthquake update, Chile Quake, chile quake dead, earthquake, Quake Aftermath | Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , | 3 Comments »

Storm Xynthia Kills at least 60 in Europe

Posted by feww on March 1, 2010

At least 60 people have been killed in Europe as storm Xynthia buffet the west coasts of Spain, Portugal and France.

About fifty of the victims were killed in France, most of whom were drowned, while others were hit by falling trees or collapsing buildings, as 140km/h winds pummeled the coastal towns in the three countries, causing widespread flooding, destroying buildings and cutting power to nearly 2 million homes.


Snapshot of the damage caused by Xynthia. Photo Régis Duvigneau/Reuters via Paris Match. Image may be subject to copyright.

Storm Xynthia prompted the authorities to put about 10 percent of France on red alert, forcing the French Prime Minister to declare the storm a natural disaster.

Air France said they were forced to cancel more than 100 flights from Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris.

Posted in Belgium floods, france floods, France storm, Portugal storm, Spain storm | Tagged: , , , , | Leave a Comment »