Fire Earth

Earth is fighting to stay alive. Mass dieoffs, triggered by anthropogenic assault and fallout of planetary defense systems offsetting the impact, could begin anytime!

Archive for May 28th, 2010

Pacaya Erupts, Covers Guatemala City with Ash

Posted by feww on May 28, 2010

Pacaya Volcano Erupts, Prompting the Authorities to Close Down Guatemala’s International Airport

Pacaya volcano, located about 25 kilometers south of the Guatemalan capital, erupted late Thursday local time depositing as much as 8 cm of ash over parts of the city.

The authorities closed down La Aurora international airport until further notice.

The closest villages to the volcano have been evacuated.

Map of Volcanoes. Background Map: University of Michigan. Designed and enhanced by Fire Earth Blog. Click image to enlarge.

The 2,552-meter Pacaya volcano is in Group F on the above diagram.

The disaster could be exacerbated by heavy rains that would trigger flash floods causing deadly lahars and mudslides.

Major Volcanoes of Guatemala

Casualties and Damage:

Two people have been killed, and 59 others injured so far, with three children reported as missing.

At least 100 homes have been destroyed and many other damaged, as more reports come in. About 2,000 people have been evacuated.

Related Links:

Posted in lahars, volcanic activity, Volcanic Activity Report, volcanic ash, volcanic eruptions | Tagged: , , , , | 2 Comments »

2010 Hurricane Forecast

Posted by feww on May 28, 2010

2010 Atlantic Hurricane Season has an 85% chance of seeing above normal activity: NOAA

NOAA estimate a 70% probability for each of the following ranges of activity in 2010 Atlantic Hurricane Season:

  • 14-23 Named Storms,
  • 8-14 Hurricanes
  • 3-7 Major Hurricanes
  • An ACE range of 155%-270% of the median.

2010 Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season Outlook (NOAA)

The 2010 Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season Outlook indicates a 75% chance of a below-normal activity, a 20% chance of a near-normal season, and a 5% chance of an above normal stormactivity.

NOAA  estimates a 70% chance of occurrence for each of the following ranges of activity in the Eastern Pacific 2010 season:

  • 9-15 named storms,
  • 4-8 hurricanes,
  • 1-3 major hurricanes,
  • An ACE range 45%-95% of the median.

Collapse Survivors

A major challenge for the collapse survivors would the transfer of scientific knowledge and  and know-how from the pre-collapse to post-collapse period.

Posted in 2010 Eastern Pacific Hurricane forecast, Atlantic hurricane season | Tagged: , , , | Leave a Comment »

M7.2 Quake Strikes Vanuatu

Posted by feww on May 28, 2010

Powerful Earthquake Strikes Vanuatu about 215 km NNW of Luganville, Espiritu Santo

The mainshock was followed by at least 4 aftershock, the largest of which measured 6.4Mw.

10-degree Map Centered at 15°S,165°E

EQ Location Map. Source: USGS. Enhanced by Fire-Earth

EQ Details:

  • Magnitude: 7.2
  • Date-Time
    • Thursday, May 27, 2010 at 17:14:48 UTC
    • Friday, May 28, 2010 at 04:14:48 AM at epicenter
  • Location: 13.710°S, 166.507°E
  • Depth: 36.1 km (22.4 miles)
  • Region: VANUATU
  • Distances :
    • 215 km (135 miles) NNW of Luganville, Espiritu Santo, Vanuatu
    • 340 km (210 miles) SSE of Lata, Santa Cruz Islands, Solomon Isl.
    • 485 km (300 miles) NNW of PORT-VILA, Efate, Vanuatu
    • 2070 km (1290 miles) NE of BRISBANE, Queensland, Australia
  • Location Uncertainty:  horizontal +/- 8.6 km (5.3 miles); depth +/- 21.2 km (13.2 miles)
  • Source: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
  • Event ID: us2010wubj

Related Links:

Posted in earhquake hazard, earhquakes | Tagged: , , | 4 Comments »