Death toll rises as Europe’s big freeze worsens
Disaster Calendar 2012 – February 12
[February 12, 2012] Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016. SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,494 Days Left to the ‘Worst Day’ in Human History
- The Balkans. New round of blizzards have brought more heavy snow to western Balkans, dumping up to 220cm of snow across Montenegro and prompting the government to declare a nationwide state of emergency.
- Many hundreds, possibly thousands of people have lost their lives mostly from hypothermia, and thousands more are suffering from severe frostbite and weather related injuries since the big freeze began in late January.
- Massive snowfalls and subzero temperatures have left tens of thousands of people isolated across the Balkans, most of whom without food and water.
- Italy. Massive snowfall has buried parts of Italy, especially the southern and central regions, with dozens of villages cut off.
- The extreme weather has claimed at least a dozen lives (official toll).
- United States. Arctic air mass has invaded the eastern United States, the National Weather Service (NWS) reported. “A Hard Freeze Warnings have been posted for tonight across much of the Gulf Coast from eastern Texas into northern Florida. A substantially colder air mass behind an arctic front will impact the region, where temperatures in the upper teens and 20s will be common. Sub-freezing readings can be expected for a period of 6 to 12 hours across the region. Prematurely blooming or emerging plants are at risk of damage if not properly protected. Some exposed pipes may be susceptible to freezing and should be protected. Pets should have warm shelter or be brought inside.”