Ongoing Floods Displace Tens of Thousands in Paraguay
Posted by feww on April 29, 2012
State of emergency continues in Paraguay amid growing number of victims
Since late march northwest Paraguay has been experiencing more than twice the average rainfall, triggering severe floods in the region which have claimed a dozen lives, and displaced about 100,000 people.
The worst affected towns are General Diaz and Lomo Del Plata.
Other Global Disasters, Significant Events
- The Island of Hispaniola. Heavy rains in the Caribbean island of Hispaniola have caused widespread flooding and mudslides, leaving dozens of people dead or missing in Haiti, and forcing thousands of people to flee their homes in the Dominican Republic.
- Floods and mudslides have destroyed hundreds of homes and public buildings, and swamped large areas of cropland, according to Haiti’s Civil Protection Office.
- B.C., Canada. Flooding has ravaged three B.C. towns of Kimberley, Tulameen and West Kelowna, forcing hundreds of people to evacuate their homes.
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Back to the Primordial Future
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- Mass Die-offs
- 2010 Disasters [Links to 2010 Disaster Calendar]
- Mega Disasters
- 2011 Disaster Calendar
- 2012 Disaster Calendar