E Russia Town Declares State of Emergency after Flooding
Posted by feww on May 21, 2012
Worst flooding in living memory forces third of population to evacuate Srednekolymsk town, Sakha Republic, Russia
Floodwater from Kolyma River reached roofs of houses in parts of Srednekolymsk town [population 3,500,] forcing at least 1,000 people to abandon their homes.
Intense flooding like this last hit the area in 1942, the town mayor told Itar-Tass news agency, adding that about 500 houses have been flooded. “In most of them water level is up to windows and in some other ones water level is up to the ceiling.”
Other Global Disasters, Significant Events
- Guizhou Province, SW China. Persistent drought in parts of Guizhou Province has affected a large number of people, destroying their crops.
A villager takes water from a vanishing reservoir in Haila Township of Weining County, southwest China’s Guizhou Province, May 20, 2012. (Xinhua/Yang Wenbin). More images…
- Emilia-Romagna Region, Italy.At least 120 aftershocks have rattled the Emilia-Romagna Region in Italy since the deadly 6.0Mw quake which struck near Bologna on sunday, claiming 7 lives and leaving dozens injured.
- Thousands of frightened residents were forced to sleep in cars, tents and temporary shelters, as aftershocks continued to plague the region.
- The shallow quake destroyed dozens of historic building and famous monuments, and damaged many others in several towns including Finale Emilia, San Felice sul Panaro, Ferrara, Poggio Renatico and Sant’Agostino, reports said.
- B.C., Canada. An outbreak of infectious hematopoietic necrosis at an Atlantic salmon farm in Dixon Bay, north of Tofino, B.C., has led to a site quarantine and the cull of more than half a million fish, a report said.
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Back to the Primordial Future
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- Mass Die-offs