Kansas Declared Disaster Area
Posted by feww on May 25, 2012
Damage Caused by Extreme Weather Prompts Federal Disaster Declaration
The Disaster President has declared a major disaster exists in the State of Kansas in the area affected by severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds, and flooding during the period of April 14-15, 2012.
Private properties and public facilities were damaged by the severe storms, tornadoes, straight-line winds, and flooding in the counties of Edwards, Ellsworth, Harper, Hodgeman, Jewell, Kiowa, Mitchell, Osborne, Rice, Rush, Russell, Sedgwick, Stafford, and Sumner.
Other Global Disasters, Significant Events
- Ontario, Canada.The city of Timmins (Pop: ~45,000) in NE Ontario has declared a state of emergency as a large brushfire continues to burn out of control, reports said.
- The large, ‘unpredictable’ fire burning about 30km outside of Timmins is fueled by extremely dry conditions, mixed with the very high temperatures and strong winds, prompting evacuation of goldmines in the area due to fears of suffocation.
- “Residents of Kirkland Lake have been told to pack three days worth of clothing in case of an emergency evacuation as a massive wild fire continues to burn and make its way closer to the town,” said a report.
- New Mexico, USA.Two large wildfires in SW NM, which were sparked by lightning, have now into one consuming an area about 300km² and destroying about two dozens homes and other structures.
- The Baldy blaze (sparked May 9) and Whitewater fire (spotted May 16) currently have zero containment.
- Nevada, USA. The Topaz Ranch Estates fire that broke out earlier this week near the Nevada-California border has now consumed about 9,000 acres, destroying about two dozen homes and outbuildings in southern Douglas County. The fire is about 15 percent contained.
- California, USA.A fast-growing wildfire is threatening homes in the community of Shelter Valley east of Julian in San Diego County, forcing evacuations.
- The blaze has consumed at least 1,000 acres since it was 100 homes are under evacuation orders, reports said.
- Michigan, USA.A fast-moving wildfire in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula has burned about 10,000 acres, prompting evacuations in its path.
- The blaze, called Duck Lake Fire, which was sparked by lightning, was “burning explosively,” the Michigan Department of Natural Resources said.
- Another wildfire in Seney National Wildlife Refuge in Schoolcraft County, also started by lightning, has burned about 4,000 acres as of posting.
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Back to the Primordial Future
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- Mass Die-offs
- 2010 Disasters [Links to 2010 Disaster Calendar]
- Mega Disasters
- 2011 Disaster Calendar
- 2012 Disaster Calendar