Mutant Mosquito Swarms to Be Unleashed in Florida
Posted by feww on December 8, 2012
DISASTER CALENDAR SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,190 Days Left
[December 8, 2012] Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
- SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,190 Days Left to the most Fateful Day in Human History
- Symbolic countdown to the ‘worst day’ in human history began on May 15, 2011 ...
Global Disasters/ Significant Events
Genetically Modified Mosquitoes? What could possibly go wrong?!
Aedes aegypti, aka the yellow fever mosquito, is a vector for transmitting several tropical disease viruses including dengue fever, Chikungunya (CHIKV) and yellow fever.
This 2006 photograph depicts a female Aedes aegypti mosquito as she acquires a blood meal from her human host, the biomedical photographer, James Gathany, at the Centers for Disease Control. Dengue fever is caused by four virus strains spread by the mosquito Aedes aegypti. (Photo Credit: James Gathany/University of Notre Dame).
- Dengue fever is a virus-caused tropical disease that is spread by mosquitoes, especially Aedes aegypti and Aedes albopictus.
- Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are an invasive, domestic species with tropical and subtropical worldwide distribution that originated in Africa.
- The mosquito aquatic cycle, the life cycle from egg to larvae, pupae, and to an adult mosquito, takes 7-8 days and occurs in water.
- The life span for adult mosquitoes is about 3-4 weeks.
- Only the female mosquito bites for blood, which she needs to produce eggs.
- Female mosquitoes lay dozens of eggs up to 5 times during their life time.
- Florida scientists have proposed to unleash swarms of genetically modified male mosquitoes into the ecosystem in the hope that the mutant mosquitoes, ‘dubbed Frankenflies,’ would mate with healthy females and pass on their lab-engineered deadly birth defects.
- A Florida Keys resident has posted a petition, “Say No to Genetically Modified Mosquitoes Release in the Florida Keys,” on Change.org.
- “Even though the local community in the Florida Keys has spoken – we even passed an ordinance demanding more testing – Oxitec is trying to use a loophole by applying to the FDA for an ‘animal bug’ patent. This could mean these mutant mosquitoes could be released at any point against the wishes of locals and the scientific community. We need to make sure the FDA does not approve Oxitec’s patent.” The petition says.“Nearly all experiments with genetically-modified crops have eventually resulted in unintended consequences: superweeds more resistant to herbicides, mutated and resistant insects also collateral damage to ecosystems. A recent news story reported that the monarch butterfly population is down by half in areas where Roundup Ready GM crops are doused with ultra-high levels of herbicides that wipe out the monarch’s favorite milkweed plant.”
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Back to the Primordial Future
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- Mass Die-offs
- 2010 Disasters [Links to 2010 Disaster Calendar]
- Mega Disasters
- 2011 Disaster Calendar
- 2012 Disaster Calendar