Hongyanhe: Another Nuclear Ticking Time Bomb?
Posted by feww on February 18, 2013
Hongyanhe NPP began operation
Hongyanhe nuclear power plant’s first 1,000 megawatt (MW) unit started operation Sunday, according to the plant’s operator, Liaoning Hongyanhe Nuclear Power Co. Ltd.
- Hongyanhe NPP, located in Liaoning Province, is the first nuclear power plant and largest energy project in northeast China.
- The plant is said to be also the first in China to use desalinated seawater for cooling its pressurized water reactors (PWRs).
- It is located near the city of Wafangdian, some 104 km from Dalian, Liaoning Province (registered population: ~ 45 million).
- Dalian is a major city and seaport located south of Liaoning province, surrounded by the Yellow Sea to the east and the Bohai Sea to the west and south.
Original caption: Photo taken on July 12, 2012 shows the Hongyanhe nuclear power station near Wafangdian, northeast China’s Liaoning Province. The Hongyanhe nuclear power station, the first nuclear power plant and largest energy project in northeast China, started operation on Sunday afternoon. Construction on the first phase of the project, which features four power generation units [1,000 MW CPR-1000 PWRs, which are based on Areva design] to be built at a cost of 50 billion yuan (7.96 billion U.S. dollars), began in 2007 and is expected to be completed by the end of 2015. The four units will generate 30 billion kilowatt-hours (kwh) of electricity annually by then. Construction on the second phase of the project, which features two power generation units to be built with an investment of 25 billion yuan, started in May 2010 and is expected to be completed by the end of 2016. The power plant will generate 45 billion kwh of electricity after it is fully completed in 2016. (Xinhua). – Image may be subject to copyright.
February 18, 2013 – DISASTER CALENDAR SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,118 Days Left
Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
- SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,118 Days Left to ‘Worst Day’ in the brief Human History
- The countdown began on May 15, 2011 …
- WARNING: Human impact 2.85 x Earth’s diminishing carrying capacity
- WARNING: RAPID PLANETARY DECLINE IN PROGRESS!
- Europe: The First Phase of Collapse Has Started
- United States: The First Phase of Collapse Has Begun
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Back to the Primordial Future
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- Mass Die-offs