Drought Disaster Declared in 6 California Counties
Posted by feww on March 14, 2013
USDA designates 6 Calif counties disaster areas amid ongoing drought
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has designated six counties in California as agricultural disaster areas, both primary and contiguous, due to damages and losses caused by the recent drought.
- The designated counties are Kings, Fresno, Kern, Monterey, San Luis Obispo and Tulare.
U.S. Monthly Precipitation Map, February 12 – March 13, 2013 (Total Precipitation, Last 30 Days). Source: HPRCC
- US: Drought Disaster 2013 [FIRE-EARTH Drought Links]
- Drought Disaster Spreads to Dozens of Counties across 10 States February 28, 2013
Other Disasters, Significant Events
HIV Epidemic in South Africa
More than 28 percent of schoolgirls are HIV positive in South Africa, according to the latest official figures.
- About 4 percent of schoolboys are also HIV positive.
- “It is clear that it is not young boys who are sleeping with these girls. It is old men. We must take a stand against sugar daddies because they are destroying our children,” SA Health Minister told reporters.
- More than 94,000 schoolgirls fell pregnant across the country in 2011.
- “Some (pregnant pupils) are known to the department of education, but there is a number which the education department does not know about. (About) 77,000 girls had abortions at public facilities. We can no longer live like that. We want to put an end to it,” the minister said.
- “There is also a high number of TB infections … there is a lot of death and a lot of illness here. It is for this reason that we chose the district to be one of the 11 in the country where the National Health Insurance program will be piloted.”
DISASTER CALENDAR — March 14, 2013 — SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,094 Days Left
Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
- SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,094 Days Left to ‘Worst Day’ in the brief Human History
- The countdown began on May 15, 2011 …
- WARNING: Human impact 2.85 x Earth’s diminishing carrying capacity
- WARNING: RAPID PLANETARY DECLINE IN PROGRESS!
- Europe: The First Phase of Collapse Has Started
- United States: The First Phase of Collapse Has Begun