China’s Q1 Power Consumption UP 4.3%
Posted by feww on April 16, 2013
China’s Q1 electricity consumption rose 4.3 percent to 1.21 trillion kWh
Electricity consumption in energy-starved China for first quarter of 2013 rose 4.3 percent yoy to 1.21 trillion kWh, the country’s National Energy Administration (NEA) reported.
- About 75 percent of China’s total energy consumption and 80 percent of its electricity production come from coal.
The Shengli open-cast coal mine in Xilinhot, Inner Mongolia, encroaches on the grassland. Ten billion cubic meters of water will be consumed by 16 new coal fired power plants and mines in China in 2015, triggering severe water crises in the country’s arid Northwest. (14 Aug, 2012). Image and Caption: Lu Guang/Greenpeace
Other Global Disasters/ Significant Events
Avian Flu H7N9 Virus in China: 63 Infected, 14 Dead
Another fatality and 3 additional infections from H7N9 bird flu virus has been reported in China on Monday, bringing the nationwide death toll to 14, and the number of infections to 63.
A woman died from H7N9 virus infection in east China’s Jiangsu Province on Sunday after emergency treatments failed, said a report quoting the provincial health authorities.
- Of a total of 63 cases of H7N9 infections so far reported across China, 24 are in Shanghai, 17 in Jiangsu, 16 in Zhejiang, three in Anhui, two in Henan and one in Beijing, the report said.
Massive wildfire breaks out in E China forest
Authorities have deployed 700 firefighters to put out a large forest fire in east China’s Jiangxi Province, according to a report.
The fire broke out in the Dexing City mountains at 3:00 pm local time on Monday, April 15, and was uncontained as of posting. The fire started after one or more persons torched wild grass to clear the land for planting, according to the report.
Deadly Explosions Rock Boston Marathon
At least three people have been killed and more than 130 injured, some critically, after two explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon ripped through the crowd.
- “Any event with multiple explosive devices – as this appears to be – is clearly an act of terror, and will be approached as an act of terror,” a White House official has said.
- The carnage took place despite 10 years and more than $20 trillion in military expenditure to fight the “war on terror.”
Bomb attacks across Iraq kill at least 55, injure more than 300
A series of attacks across Iraq has killed at least 55 people and injured more than 300 on Monday, according to reports.
- “Monday’s violence marked Iraq’s deadliest day since March 19, the eve of the 10th anniversary of the U.S.-led invasion, when a wave of bombings killed 65 across the country.” AP reported.
DISASTER CALENDAR – April 16, 2013 —
SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,061 Days Left
Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
- SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,061 Days Left to ‘Worst Day’ in the brief Human History
- The countdown began on May 15, 2011 …
- WARNING: Human impact 2.85 x Earth’s diminishing carrying capacity
- WARNING: RAPID PLANETARY DECLINE IN PROGRESS!
- Europe: The First Phase of Collapse Has Started
- United States: The First Phase of Collapse Has Begun
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Back to the Primordial Future
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- Mass Die-offs