Disaster Diary – April 22, 2013
Posted by feww on April 22, 2013
Earthquake in China: Up to 208 dead, 11,500 injured, 150,000 displaced, 1.5 million affected
The magnitude 7.0 quake, which struck the mountainous Lushan County of Sichuan Province in SW China on Saturday, has killed up to 208 people (184 bodies recovered, 24 others missing), injured more than 11,500, including about 1,000 serious injuries, left an estimated 150,000 people homeless, and directly affected at least 1.5 million people.
More than 2,300 aftershocks have been recorded in Lushan County as of 4 p.m. Beijing time on Monday, the China Earthquake Administration (CEA) reported; however, only four of the initial shocks were significant, measuring greater than 5.0Mw.
More than 200 major landslides have blocked 57 roads and highways in 3 areas within the quake damage zone, China’s CCTV reported. The landslides have also severely damaged much of the vegetation in the disaster zone increasing the likelihood of more landslides triggered by rain.
Freeze frame from a CCTV video clip showing one of more than 200 major landslides that have caused 57 road and highway blockages in the quake hit area of Sichuan Province, SW China.
Other Global Disasters/ Significant Events
Nigeria fighting: Scores killed, more than 2,000 homes destroyed
Intense fighting between the Nigerian military forces and Boko Haram militants in Baga, northern Nigeria has reportedly killed about 200 people.
- Much of the town was torched, including some 2,000 homes, causing many of the fatalities. Most of the bodies were charred beyond recognition.
- “Residents of Baga fled into the bush and only returned on Sunday afternoon to find much of the town destroyed and human and animal corpses strewn through the streets,” said a report.
- Since 2009, thousands of people have lost their life in the Boko Haram insurgency.
CHINA: Avian Flu Cases Steadily Rising
China confirmed two new cases of human H7N9 avian influenza in Zhejiang Province. The total number of reported infections stand at 104, including 21 deaths, as of 4:00 pm Monday, Beijing time, said a report.
US: City of Grand Rapids Declares a State of Emergency
Rising Grand River has inundated scores of homes in several western Michigan towns and communities, prompting the authorities to declare states of emergency in Grand Rapids and Kent county.
The mayor of small town of Beardstown, has also declared a state of emergency, as Illinois River water levels continued to rise.
Illinois Gov. Quinn has declared 3 additional counties disaster areas from flooding, raising the disaster declaration total to at least 41 counties.
Flooding and high water across the Midwesthave been responsible for at least 6 deaths, reports said.
Flooding have been reported in six states, and Flood Warnings were in effect across parts of 14 states, as of posting.
DISASTER CALENDAR – April 22, 2013 — SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,055 Days Left
Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
- SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,055 Days Left to ‘Worst Day’ in the brief Human History
- The countdown began on May 15, 2011 …
- WARNING: Human impact 2.85 x Earth’s diminishing carrying capacity
- WARNING: RAPID PLANETARY DECLINE IN PROGRESS!
- Europe: The First Phase of Collapse Has Started
- United States: The First Phase of Collapse Has Begun
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Back to the Primordial Future
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- Mass Die-offs