Severe Flooding Plagues Parts of Houston
Posted by feww on April 28, 2013
Torrential Rains Down Power Lines, Flood Houston Streets
Extreme rains and thunderstorms hit Harris County, Texas, Saturday night, prompting officials to warn people to stay off the roads.
- A weather system moved across southeast Texas over the weekend dumping up to 6 inches of rain over much of Harris County in three hours.
- Local media reported golf ball-sized hail in parts of the Houston metro area.
- “County officials said at least three bayous and creeks are close to capacity, potentially causing flooding in surrounding streets and low-lying areas. South Mayde Creek at Greenhouse near Katy and Brays Bayou near Lawndale and Gessner were both at capacity. Keegans Bayou near Sugar Land was also rising,” said a report.
- Storm cut power to at least 50,000 customers in the area, CenterPoint Energy reported.
“Showers, thunderstorms and flash flooding risks will continue Saturday night from the Tennessee Valley into South Texas. Some storms may become severe during the early overnight hours but the severe risk should diminish throughout the night.” NWS reported.
“Showers and thunderstorms will continue Saturday night. Some storms will still have the potential to become severe with tornadoes, damaging winds and large hail all possible. The severe threat will diminish throughout the night. Flash flooding will also be a concern with stronger storms.”
Explosion at Marathon Detroit Refinery
An explosion at Marathon Detroit Refinery prompted the authorities to partially evacuate the nearby city of Melvindale due to air quality concerns.
Explosion in a storage fuel tank at Marathon Detroit Refinery spewed a large plume of black smoke.
Thousands fighting SW China forest fire
Thousands of fire crews have been deployed to contain a forest fire that has raged for a sixth day in southwest China’s Yunnan Province.
- The blaze broke out on Tuesday and has since consumed hundreds of hectares of forests in Lufeng County, Chuxiong Yi Autonomous Prefecture, Xinhua reported.
Bangladesh: Dhaka building collapse update
- Confirmed Fatalities: 367
- Still Missing: As many as 600
- Rescued: 2,343
- Injured: More than 1,000, many received serious injuries
- Warm days mean early wildfire season in Oregon
- Wildfires reported across Maine
- Strong winds give new life to wildfire near Livingston, Montana
DISASTER CALENDAR – April 28, 2013 —
SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,049 Days Left
Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
- SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,049 Days Left to ‘Worst Day’ in the brief Human History
- The countdown began on May 15, 2011 …
- WARNING: Human impact 2.85 x Earth’s diminishing carrying capacity
- WARNING: RAPID PLANETARY DECLINE IN PROGRESS!
- Europe: The First Phase of Collapse Has Started
- United States: The First Phase of Collapse Has Begun
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background