Global Disasters/ Significant Events – 7 May 2013
Posted by feww on May 7, 2013
Dhaka building collapse death toll reaches 706
Death toll from the collapse of Rana Plaza, a factory building near the Bangladeshi capital, Dhaka, has climbed to 706, officials said.
- The authorities said they didn’t know exactly how many people were still missing because the building owners didn’t tell them.
- About 2,500 others were injured.
River plagued by invasive species in Guangxi Zhuang, south China
S China river completely covered in invasive species. (Source: chinanews.com). More images…
Tanker Exploded on Highway Near Mexico City
A tanker exploded on a highway in a suburb of Mexico City, killing at least 20 people and injuring 36 others, officials said.
- The explosion damaged at least three dozen homes and as many vehicles, and forced the authorities to close the highway between Mexico City and Pachuca.
Iowa Counties Declared Agricultural Disaster Areas
U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has issued a major disaster declaration for four NW Iowa counties—Dickinson, Emmet, Lyon, and Osceola—due to losses and damages caused by severe winter storms on April 9, 10, and 11.
Philippines: Phreatic Explosion at Mayon Volcano
A phreatic explosion occurred at Mayon Volcano in the Philippines Albay province, killing 5 mountaineers, and injuring 6 others.
- The explosion lasted 2 minutes 26 seconds during which a 500-meter column of ash was ejected above the crater summit.
- It “precipitated traces of ash in the areas west-northwest of the volcano, affecting Barangays Muladbucad, Guinobatan and Nabonton, Nasisi, Basag and Tambo, Ligao City, Albay, and areas upslope of these barangays. In the past 8-hr period, only one minor rockfall event was detected by the Mayon seismic network. Seismic parameters remain within background levels and indicate no increase in overall volcanic activity.” Philvocs reported.
- Mt. Mayon did not explode and no magmatic eruption was imminent at the volcano, Philvocs said.
- Area around Mt. Mayon has been declared a no-fly zone; however, the alert level around the volcano remained at normal.
- The public have been “strongly” advised not to enter the 6-km radius Permanent Danger Zone (PDZ) around the volcano’s crater.
DISASTER CALENDAR – May 7, 2013 —
SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,040 Days Left
Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016.
- SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,040 Days Left to ‘Worst Day’ in the brief Human History
- The countdown began on May 15, 2011 …
- WARNING: Human impact 2.85 x Earth’s diminishing carrying capacity
- WARNING: RAPID PLANETARY DECLINE IN PROGRESS!
- Europe: The First Phase of Collapse Has Started
- United States: The First Phase of Collapse Has Begun
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Back to the Primordial Future
- The Fate of Energy Dinosaurs
- Mass Die-offs