Mega Heatwave: Dozens of Daily Record High Temps Broken or Tied
Posted by feww on June 30, 2013
Phoenix daily high temperature hit 119 shattering old record by 2 degrees
Power consumption across western United States surge as life-threatening, record-breaking heat spikes demand load for cooling.
The high temperature at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport hit 119 degrees, shattering the old record set in 1994 by 2 degrees, and making Saturday the fourth hottest day on record. [The hottest day on record at 122 degrees was June 26, 1990.]
At Mccarran International Airport, the official climate station for Las Vegas, the high temperature reached 115 degrees on Saturday, which tied the record for June 29th last set in 1994, NWS reported.
At the National Weather Service office in SW Las Vegas the high temperature reached 118 degrees Saturdy afternoon, shattering the previous all-time record of 117 degrees set on July 5, 2007 and tied on June 28, 2013.
- NV Energy in Las Vegas has predicted a surge in power demand for Clark County, said a report.
At Needles, California the high temperature reached 123 degrees on Saturday, setting a new daily record as well as a new all-time record high for June, shattering the previous all-time monthly record of 122 degrees set on June 11, 1918.
Forecast Highs For Selected Locations (NWS/NOAA)
Western U.S. Mega Heat Hazards Map
U.S. Daily Highest Max Temperature Records set on June 28, 2013
Out of a possible 4,676 records: 40 (Broken) + 25 (Tied) = 65 Total – Source: NOAA
Meantime, NWS issued the following forecast:
For much of the Western U.S., excessive heat warnings and heat advisories remain in effect for a major heat wave that is ongoing from the Mexican border northward into the Inter-Mountain West. A big upper level high, combined with subsiding air and abundant sunshine, will allow temperatures to reach dangerously high levels. Some of the lower deserts near the Colorado River may reach 120 degrees! Triple digit heat is also expected for much of the Great Basin going through the weekend and into early next week.
Many of the same locations that broke records on Saturday could break records again on Sunday. One of the hottest places will be Death Valley, California as temperatures will approach 130 degrees
- Extreme heat wave in western U.S. severely affects journalistic integrity globally ! June 29, 2013
- Record Temperatures Broken or Tied in Western US June 29, 2013
- Extreme Heatwave: Nature Zeroing In On A Primary Target June 28, 2013
- “Life-threatening” Heat Wave Developing in SW U.S. June 27, 2013
- FIRE-EARTH Forecast: World Record High Temperature Could Be Broken This Year June 5, 2013
- [FIRE-EARTH Forecast] U-S Drought 2013: Fueled by Heat from Hell? January 31, 2013