Global Disasters/ Significant Events – 2 July 2013
Posted by feww on July 2, 2013
States of Emergency declared for Cuyler and Deruyte, NY
Widespread flooding prompted the Town Supervisors in Cuyler and Deruyte to issue states of emergency late Monday, said a report.
Flooding also forced the authorities to evacuate many homes, turn off power and gas and provide shelters for the evacuees, the report said.
Meanwhile, NWS has issued multiple Flood Warnings, Flash Flood Warnings, Flood Watches and Flood Advisories for much of the eastern U.S.
U.S. Weather Hazards Map – July 2, 2013. Source: NWS.
State of Emergency Declared for the City of Ashtabula, Ohio
Extreme Rain Events on Thursday and Friday triggered widespread flooding in Ashtabula, inundating properties, washing out streets, and prompting City Council to declare a state of emergency, said a report.
- The worst-hit area is the Ashtabula harbor, which reportedly took the brunt of the storm.
States of Emergency Declared for Two Minnesota Counties
Fillmore and Houston Counties in Minnesota have declared states of emergency due to the loses and damage caused extreme rain events and flooding.
“In some areas water levels are rising more than 8 feet,” said a report. “Both Houston and Fillmore counties took the brunt of the storm.”
Air crash kills 19 people in Russia’s Sakha Republic
A Russian transport helicopter crashed into a hilltop in Siberia killing at least 19 people, including children, said the Russian authorities.
- The Polar Airlines Mi-8 helicopter crashed in a remote, mountainous terrain, about 40 miles from Deputatsky in the Sakha Republic.
- The crash has been blamed on bad weather. “The main theory at this time is difficult weather conditions,” the Interfax news agency quoted the regional police as saying.
- There were three crews and 25 passengers, including 11 children, on board the helicopter.
M6.1 Quake Strikes Near Bireun, Indonesia
A shallow quake measuring 6.1Mw struck 55km (34mi) S of Bireun in the Aceh Province of Indonesia [4.698°N 96.687°E] killing at least 1 person, leaving two people missing and more than a hundred others injured.
- The quake has damaged or destroyed dozens of homes near the epicenter.
Time: 2013-07-02 16:37:02 UTC+09:00
Location: 4.698°N 96.687°E
Depth: 10.0km (6.2mi)
- 55km (34mi) S of Bireun, Indonesia
- 72km (45mi) SE of Reuleuet, Indonesia
- 74km (46mi) SW of Lhokseumawe, Indonesia
- 87km (54mi) NE of Meulaboh, Indonesia
- 581km (361mi) WNW of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia