RIM FIRE Reaches Hetch Hetchy Reservoir
Posted by feww on August 28, 2013
Monster blaze grows to 187,466 acres, surrounds key Yosemite reservoir
Rim Fire grew by more than 3,000 acres over the past 12 hours, covering 293mi² and reaching the southern edge of the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir, as it began to flank western side of the lake.
The monster blaze has already surrounded Cherry Lake and Lake Eleanor, a part of the Hetch Hetchy Reservoir system in the northwestern backcountry of Yosemite National Park.
RIM FIRE is burning mainly in Stanislaus National Forest, but it has also consumed about 45,000 acres of YNP.
Rim Fire Map – Latest
Rim Fire Incident Information
- Last Updated: August 28, 2013 06:30 PDT (UTC -7 hours)
- Date/Time Started: August 17, 2013 3:25 pm
- Administrative Unit: Stanislaus National Forest / CAL FIRE Tuolumne-Calaveras Unit
- County: Tuolumne County, Calif.
- Location: 3 miles east of Groveland along Hwy 120
- Acres Burned – Containment: 187,466 acres – 23% contained
- Structures Threatened: 5,506 (4,500 residences, 1,000 outbuildings, 6 commercial)
- Structures Destroyed: 111 (11 residences, 97 outbuildings, 3 commercial)
- A Mandatory Evacuation has been issued for residences north of Old Yosemite Road (Forest Road 2S01). Highway 120 at the Yosemite National Park boundary west to Buck Meadows has been evacuated. [An evacuation center is located at the Mother Lode Fairgrounds in Sonora.]
- An evacuation advisory is in effect from Tuolumne City and the area east of Highway 108 to Pinecrest Lake.
- An Evacuation Warning has been issued for all residences north of Bull Creek Road (Forest Road 2S02), Bondurant Mine Road, Texas Hill Road, and Wampum Hill.
- Highway 120 remains closed to all inbound and outbound Yosemite National Park traffic to Crane Flat Campground.
- A portion of the Tioga Road, from Crane Flat to White Wolf, will be temporarily closed to all vehicular traffic beginning tomorrow, Wednesday, August 28, 2013, at 12:00 noon. The closure is necessary for firefighters to perform fire suppression activities along the road. This portion of the road is anticipated to be closed at least through Labor Day Weekend. The park will issue an update as conditions allow for the reopening of the road. [Highway 120 and Tioga Road are two of the four major access routes to YNP.]
- A Forest Closure is in effect for locations near and in advance of the fire. Several locations on the west side of Yosemite National Park have had closures implemented as a result of the fires spread. Contingency planning, indirect line construction and preparation to the east of Highway 108.
- The Stanislaus National Forest has issued an area closure for the entire Groveland Ranger District and for the Mi-Wok Ranger District east of Highway 108.
- Tamarack Flat and Yosemite Creek Campgrounds, both located along the Tioga Road within the closure, will remain closed during the fire suppression efforts. White Wolf Campground and White Wolf Lodge will remain closed.
- Injuries: 3
- Cause: Under Investigation
- Total Fire Personnel: 4,19
- Total Fire Engines: 508
- Total Fire crews: 75
- Total Helicopters: 17
- Total Dozers: 62
- Total Water Tenders: 45
Links and Background Information
- RIM FIRE Balloons to 288mi² August 28, 2013
- RIM FIRE Spreads to about 180,000 Acres August 27, 2013
- RIM FIRE Raining Ash on Key SF Reservoir August 27, 2013
- RIM FIRE continues to grow; burns 23mi² in YNP August 26, 2013
- RIM FIRE Forces New Closures at Yosemite National Park August 25, 2013
- State of Emergency Declared for SF due to RIM FIRE August 24, 2013
- RIM FIRE Crosses into Yosemite National Park August 24, 2013
- State of Emergency Declared as Calif. Wildfire Explodes August 23, 2013
- Large Wildfires in the West Burn Homes, Force More Evacuations August 21, 2013
- State of Emergency Declared in 31 Montana Counties due to Wildfires August 20, 2013
- Beaver Creek Fire Consumes 100,000 acres
- “Take Your Essentials Belongings and Pets and GO NOW” August 18, 2013