RIM FIRE Now 4th Largest Wildfire in California History
Posted by feww on September 1, 2013
Colossal Wildfire devours 223,000 acres (901km²), including about 50,000 acres in Yosemite National Park
RIM FIRE has become the 4th largest wildfire in California history after devouring about 223,000 acres (901km², or 348mi²), including about 6.5 percent of Yosemite’s backcountry, as it targets two groves of YNP’s very old sequoia trees.
Top 4 Largest California Wildfires
Rim Fire Wildfire Fire Consumes Forest. South Flank Fire Activity. Photo credit: USFS/ Mike McMillan
- Last Updated: August 31, 2013 19:00 PDT
- Date/Time Started: August 17, 2013 3:25 pm
- Location: 3 miles east of Groveland along Hwy 120
- Acres Burned: 222,777 acres
- Containment: 40% contained
- Structures Threatened: 5,506 (4,500 residences, 1,000 outbuildings, 6 commercial) – [NOT updated Editor]
- Structures Destroyed: 111 (11 residences, 97 outbuildings, 3 commercial)
- Cause: Under Investigation
- Administrative Unit: Stanislaus National Forest / CAL FIRE Tuolumne-Calaveras Unit
County: Tuolumne County
An Evacuation Warning has been issued for all residences of Bondurant Mine Road, Texas Hill Road, and Wampum Hill. Highway 120 at the Yosemite National Park boundary west to Buck Meadows has been evacuated. Evacuation centers are at the Mother Lode Fairgrounds in Sonora and at the Greeley Hill Community Center.
The Mariposa County Sherriff lifted the Mandatory Evacuation along Old Yosemite Road to include areas North and South of Bull Creek Road to Little Grizzly Mountain.
An evacuation advisory remains in effect for Ponderosa Hills and areas east, along the south side of Highway 108 up to Pinecrest.
Highway 120 remains closed from Buck Meadows to 1 ½ miles east of White Wolf. Highway 120 east/Tioga Road remains open from 1 ½
- Total Fire Personnel: 5,069
- Total Fire Engines: 433
- Total Fire crews: 119
- Total Helicopters: 41
- Total Dozers: 88
- Total Water Tenders: 58
Links and Background Information
- Calif Wildfire Burns 864km² August 31, 2013
- State of Emergency Declared for Mariposa County, CA August 30, 2013
- RIM FIRE Becomes 5th Largest in Calif. History August 30, 2013