Earthquakes Strike near Atka, Alaska
Posted by feww on September 4, 2015
Multiple quakes strike Andreanof Islands
History: A magnitude 8.6Mw megathrust earthquake struck Andreanof Islands (51.5°N 175.7°W) on March 9, 1957, causing Vsevidof Volcano (53.1256°N,168.6937°W) to erupt, and triggering a 16-meter high tsunami that destroyed two communities in Oahu, Hawaii.
Vsevidof Volcano on Umnak Island viewed from an Alaska Airlines en route to Adak, Alaska, May 31, 2012. Credit: Cyrus Read/AVO/USGS.
EQ Details [USGS/EHP]
- M4.5, 110km SSW of Atka, Alaska 2015-09-04 13:35:37 UTC depth= 46.4km
- M4.8, 111km SSW of Atka, Alaska 2015-09-04 12:48:55 UTC depth= 36.3km
- M4.9, 81km SW of Atka, Alaska 2015-09-04 12:42:06 UTC depth= 42.1km
- M4.8, 98km SW of Atka, Alaska 2015-09-04 12:24:24 UTC depth= 46.4km
- M4.8, 105km SSW of Atka, Alaska 2015-09-04 12:15:42 UTC depth= 29.3km
Other Significant Earthquakes
- M5.4, 15km SSE of Oguz, Azerbaijan 2015-09-04 04:49:38 UTC depth= 13.8km
- M5.5, 142km NE of Naze, Japan 2015-09-04 04:49:21 UTC depth= 10.0km
- M5.4, 224km E of Namie, Japan 2015-09-03 16:51:47 UTC depth=10.0km