Major Disaster Declared in South Carolina
Posted by feww on October 6, 2015
Federal Disaster Declared in South Carolina as Historic Rainfall, Catastrophic Flooding Cause Major Disaster
South Carolina Severe Storms and Flooding (DR-4241) Incident period: October 1, 2015 and continuing. Major Disaster Declaration declared on October 5, 2015
The White House has declared a major disaster exists in the State of South Carolina in the areas affected by severe storms and flooding that started on October 1, 2015 and continuing.
Areas that are worst affected by the extreme weather events include Charleston, Dorchester, Georgetown, Horry, Lexington, Orangeburg, Richland, and Williamsburg counties.
Major damage and losses have also occurred in Berkeley, Clarendon and Sumter counties, according to reports.
The Federal Coordinating Officer for federal recovery operations in the affected area said that damage surveys are continuing in other areas, and additional counties may be added to the disaster list after the assessments are fully completed.
- About 65cm of rain have fallen in parts of South Carolina since Saturday, causing historic and catastrophic flooding.
- Up to 17 people have been killed in weather-related incidents across the region, most of them in South Carolina.
- Thousands of people have been evacuated or left their property voluntarily.
- Tens of thousands of people are without power or drinking water.
- A total of about 600 roads and bridges have been closed due to inundation and/or damage.
- Up to 20 dams have burst releasing large amounts of water and causing additional flooding.
Historic rainfall starting to taper off across Carolinas, threat of river flooding continues —NWS
The historic rainfall that has produced catastrophic flooding across the Carolinas is slowly beginning to taper off. Additional rainfall amounts of 1-2 inches are possible through Tuesday and moderate to major river flooding is forecast to continue through the remainder of the week.
Federal Disasters 2015
The federal government has proclaimed 37 Major Disaster Declaration [DR 4205-4241] for a U.S. state/tribal area/territory so far this year. Additionally, the government has issued two Emergency Declarations, EM-3372 and EM-3373, and 31 Fire Management Assistance Declarations, [FM-5084 to FM-5114] for the year to date.
- ‘Once-in-a-millennium’ Rainstorm Swamps South Carolina October 5, 2015
- Federal Emergency Declared for South Carolina October 4, 2015
- JOAQUIN Prompts States of Emergency Declarations in 5 States October 2, 2015
Latest Major Disaster Declarations
- Major Disaster Declared in California Wildfire [DR-4240] September 23, 2015
- Major Disaster Declared in Kentucky [DR-4239] August 14, 2015
- Major Disasters Declared in Missouri, W. Virginia, Pine Ridge Reservation, S. Dakota [DR-4236 to DR-4238] August 9, 2015
- Super Typhoon SOUDELOR: Federal disaster declared for Commonwealth of Northern Mariana Islands [DR-4235] August 6, 2015
- Major Disaster Declared in Iowa [DR-4234] August 3, 2015
- Federal Disaster Declarations
- Agricultural Disasters Index