‘Severe’ Earthquake Strikes North Island, NZ
Posted by feww on October 12, 2015
Magnitude 5.8 quake rattles lower North Island, New Zealand
Centered at 40.58ºS, 176.3ºE, about 15km east of Pongaroa, the quake struck at a depth of 24km, according to NZ’s earthquake monitoring center, geonet.
EQ Details [USGS/EHP]
- Magnitude: 5.4Mw
- Location: 40.651°S, 176.426°E; depth=21.4 km (13.3 mi)
- Date/Time: 2015-10-12 at 08:05:00(UTC)
- Nearby Cities:
- 32km (20mi) NNE of Castlepoint, New Zealand
- 73km (45mi) ENE of Masterton
- 76km (47mi) ESE of Palmerston North
- 97km (60mi) E of Levin, New Zealand
- 155km (96mi) ENE of Wellington
The quake was felt within a radius of at least 250km from the epicenter, with thousands of felt report sent to earthquake monitoring center within 30 minutes of the quake occurring, according to various reports.
Search blog content for additional information concerning seismicity of New Zealand.