‘Tourism in New Zealand 2,500 x Deadlier than Terrorism in France’
Posted by feww on November 23, 2015
‘7 killed in the latest episode of NZ air disasters’
“More than 3,400 overseas visitors, international students, foreign workers and recent emigrants have lost their lives and about 18,000 others seriously injured in New Zealand since year 2000.”
“In the latest disaster that occurred in Fox Glacier on Saturday seven people were killed including six tourists, four British and two Australians, and the [Dutch?] pilot named as Mitch [van] Gameren, 28.” More…
Re-blogged courtesy of Apartheid NZ
The following statistics were sent by a reader:
Tourists more likely to be killed by terrorists in France, or while visiting New Zealand?
The following statistics cover the period between January 2000 and November 13, 2015.
Terrorist Attacks in France
Some 17 acts of terrorism have occurred in Paris between the year 2000 and November 13, 2015 including shooting, bombing, stabbing, vehicle ramming and suicide bombing, claiming the lives of 163 people (terrorist casualties not included), and leaving 440 others injured.
- According to the best data available, 42 of the victims were foreign nationals, or French citizens with dual nationalities.
No. of Foreigners Visiting France v. New Zealand
Based on figures released by the World Bank, and other sources, about 1.25 billion [1,254 million] foreigners visited France during that period.
During the same period, about 40.8 million [40,795,000] foreigners visited New Zealand, according to the World Bank and Statistics NZ (see links below).
Killed in New Zealand
Figures published by newzeelend.wordpress.com (this blog) show that: “More than 3,400 overseas visitors, international students, foreign workers and recent emigrants have lost their lives and about 18,000 others seriously injured in New Zealand since year 2000.”
[Alternately, other credible statistics may be submitted to the blog for consideration, or plugged into the following equations.]
- Probability of a foreigner being killed while visiting New Zealand: 3,400/40,795,000 (8.33e-5) or about 1 in 10,000
- Probability of a foreigner being killed in France from acts of terrorism: 42/1.25 billion or about 1 in 30 million (3.35e-8)
Killed in New Zealand from Tourism/Killed in France from Terrorism = (8.334e-5)/ (3.35e-8) = 2,488.4
Foreign visitors are about 2,500 times more likely to be killed violently while visiting New Zealand (air and road crashes, adventure tourism…), than being killed in France by the terrorists.
Links to data sources used for this post:
- Victims of Fox Glacier helicopter crash identified Posted by te2ataria on November 22, 2015
- Long legacy of air disasters in New Zealand Posted by te2ataria on November 21, 2015
- ‘Four Britons and two Australians’ among 7 killed in NZ chopper crash Posted by te2ataria on November 21, 2015
- Proudly Killed in New Zealand list of some of the tourists killed in NZ