Storm Desmond Hits UK
Posted by feww on December 6, 2015
“Major incident” is declared in NW England, many residents evacuated
The UK Met Office has issued a Red Warning for rain in NW England, as well as many severe flood warnings meaning “danger to life.”
More than 100 flood warnings and 70 flood alerts were issued for northern England, while about 100 flood warnings and alerts were in place throughout Scotland on Saturday night.
- Heavy rain and powerful winds: Storm Desmond is battering Ireland, Scotland and northern England.
- Mass Evacuations: The county of Cumbria in NW England, one of nine official regions of the country, has declared “a major incident” and evacuated scores of people after the River Eden flooded.
- Multiple train services in the affected regions have been cancelled as severe weather also forces numerous road closures.
- Up to 225m of rain have fallen in the affected areas over a 36-hour period.
- The river Tyne in Northumberland has burst its banks at Corbridge, forcing the entire village to be evacuated.
- Dozens of flights were cancelled at Dublin airport in Ireland.