Historic Flooding Underway: Town Evacuated
Posted by feww on December 29, 2015
Mandatory evacuation order issued for West Alton, Missouri
The U.S. Coast Guard has closed a large section of the Mississippi River near St. Louis due to flooding.
- Historic flooding is underway.
- Up to 12 inches of rain since Monday have inundated a vast area in southern and central U.S.
- Water has topped the Consolidated North County Levee on the Mississippi River protecting the town of West Alton [pop: 550] in St. Louis-area, Missouri. The town is located at the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers.
- The mayor has ordered a mandatory evacuation order.
- The Mayor had previously urged the resident to evacuate voluntarily.
- Multiple sections of major highways including Highway 94 are compromised, and have since been closed.
- Multiple rivers are expected to crest higher than the records set in December 1982 and Summer of 1993 including the Bourbeuse River at Union, MO and the Mississippi River at Chester, IL.