Strong Earthquake Rattles Hokkaido, N. Honshu, Japan
Posted by feww on January 14, 2016
M6.7 strikes SE of Sapporo, sends tremors as far as Tokyo Bay
Centered at 41.952°N, 142.720°E the quake struck at depth of 51.4 km (31.9 mi), reported USGS/EHP.
The tremors were reportedly felt as far as the Tokyo Bay area, about 750km to the SSW of the epicenter, according to FIRE-EARTH Science Team.
This event did not generate a destructive tsunami.
Location: 41.952°N 142.720°E (150km SE of Sapporo, Japan)
Depth: 51.4 km
Time: 2016-01-14 at 03:25:34 UTC
- 51km (32mi) SE of Shizunai, Japan
- 114km (71mi) SSW of Obihiro
- 119km (74mi) SE of Tomakomai
- 122km (76mi) SSW of Otofuke
- 743km (462mi) NNE of Tokyo
On January 11 (UTC), another significant earthquake struck the Hokkaido region.
- M6.2 centered at 44.465°N 141.076°E depth=239.9 km (149.0 mi) about 74km NW of Rumoi, Japan [2016-01-11 17:08:03 (UTC)]