Significant Earthquakes Strike Oklahoma and Christchurch, NZ
Posted by feww on February 14, 2016
M 5.1 quake rattles Fairview, OK
Centered at 36.490°N, 98.741°W, about 33km (21mi) NW of Fairview, the induced event occurred at a [signature] depth of 7.7 km, USGS/EHP reported.
At least 14 aftershocks/related events have occurred in the region, as of posting.
The quake was third largest recorded shock to strike Oklahoma.
At least 941 earthquakes measuring magnitude 3.0Mw or greater have struck the State of Oklahoma and border area with Kansas over the past 365 days, according to USGS/EHP archive.
EQ location map shows 941 earthquakes measuring magnitude 3.0Mw or greater in the State of Oklahoma and border area with Kansas over the past 365 days: USGS/EHP archive.
Location: 36.490°N, 98.741°W; depth=7.7km
Time: 2016-02-13 17:07:05 UTC
- 33km (21mi) NW of Fairview, Oklahoma
- 58km (36mi) E of Woodward, Oklahoma
- 78km (48mi) W of Enid, Oklahoma
- 107km (66mi) N of Weatherford, Oklahoma
- 158km (98mi) NW of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
M5.8 quake strikes 17km ENE of Christchurch, NZ
The shock was reportedly felt as far north as Wellington, NZ capital, and caused a cliff to collapse in Sumner, a coastal seaside suburb of Christchurch.
Estimated Economic Losses
Impact: ORANGE PAGER. USGS/EHP model indicates that significant economic losses may have occurred as a result of this earthquake [probability of 36 percent.]
EQ Details [USGS/EHP ]
Location: 43.503°S, 172.843°E; depth=8.2 km (5.1 mi)
Time: 2016-02-14 00:13:43 (UTC)
- 17km (11mi) ENE of Christchurch, New Zealand
- 21km (13mi) SE of Kaiapoi, New Zealand
- 162km (101mi) NE of Timaru, New Zealand
- 229km (142mi) NE of Oamaru, New Zealand
- 293km (182mi) SSW of Wellington, New Zealand
EQ Details according to local monitors
Public ID: 2016p118944
Universal Time: February 14 2016, 0:13:43
NZ Daylight Time: Sun, Feb 14 2016, 1:13:43 pm
Location: 15km east of Christchurch
Latitude, Longitude -43.50, 172.83