Significant Earthquakes Strike California
Posted by feww on February 17, 2016
M4.8 quake strikes near Big Pine, California
Centered at 37.202°N, 118.400°W the event occurred at a depth of 15.8 km (9.8 mi), reported USGS/EHP.
Location: 37.202°N 118.400°W; depth=15.8 km
Time: 2016-02-16 23:04:26 (UTC)
- 10km (6mi) WNW of Big Pine, California
- 114km (71mi) NE of Dinuba, California
- 115km (71mi) NE of Reedley, California
- 116km (72mi) ENE of Sanger, California
- 248km (154mi) SSE of Carson City, Nevada
The quake was followed by at least three aftershocks:
M4.3; 10km WNW of Big Pine, California 2016-02-16 23:27:30 UTC d=15.6 km
M2.8; 11km WNW of Big Pine, California 2016-02-16 23:25:10 UTC d=15.0 km
M2.9; 11km WNW of Big Pine, California 2016-02-16 23:09:27 UTC d=14.8 km
It followed an earlier event, measuring 3.9Mw, which jolted Big Bear City (34.303°N, 116.863°W depth=3.1 km; 2016-02-16 09:24:20UTC), about 44km (27mi) ENE of San Bernardino, California.