Fiji Declares a State of Disaster
Posted by feww on February 25, 2016
TC WINSTON kills 48, leaves 45,245 displaced
Category 5, Severe Tropical Cyclone WINSTON struck the island nation of Fiji on 20 and 21 February cutting a path of destruction across the country.
Summary from NDMO SITREP NO. 26
• The cyclone is estimated to be the most severe ever to hit Fiji, and probably the South Pacific.
• 48 people have been confirmed dead, 167 injured [including 45 hospitalized.]
• Some 45,245 people are currently sheltering in 763 evacuation centers.
• 104 schools have been damaged or destroyed.
• 100 per cent of crops are reported destroyed in the worst affected areas.
• Entire communities/villages have been wiped out.
• A 30-day State of Disaster has been declared.
Terminal building in Koro and Vanuabalavu airports are completely destroyed, the fire station in Savusavu is severely damaged.