Powerful Earthquake Rocks Kyushu, S. Honshu, Japan
Posted by feww on April 15, 2016
M7.1 event strikes Kyushu, felt in southern Honshu, Japan
The powerful quake occurred at a depth of 10km about 5km ENE of Kumamoto city.
USGS/EHP has issued a RED Pager for this event:
- Yellow alert level for shaking-related fatalities. Some casualties are possible. Estimated fatalities between 10 and 100 with a probability of 57%.
- Red alert level for economic losses. Extensive damage is probable and the disaster is likely widespread. Estimated economic losses are less than 1% of GDP of Japan. Past events with this alert level have required a national or international level response. Damage estimated between USD1 billion and USD10 billion, with a probability of 42%, as of posting.
EQ Details [JMA]
Location: 32.8N, 130.8E ( Kumamoto-ken Kumamoto-chiho)
Depth: 10 km
Time: 01:25 JST (UTC -9hrs) 16 Apr 2016
- 5.0 km (3.1 mi) ENE of Kumamoto-shi, Japan
- 9.0 km (5.6 mi) SW of Ozu, Japan
- 15.0 km (9.3 mi) SE of Ueki, Japan
- 17.0 km (10.6 mi) NE of Uto, Japan
- 633.0 km (393.3 mi) SE of Seoul, South Korea
The event registered 6+ on Japan’s s seismic intensity scale (1 – 7) at 10 seismic monitoring stations, JMA said.
The quake was immediately followed by three significant aftershocks:
01:50 JST 16 Apr 2016 01:46 JST 16 Apr 2016 Kumamoto-ken Kumamoto-chiho M6.0 (6-)
01:47 JST 16 Apr 2016 01:44 JST 16 Apr 2016 Kumamoto-ken Kumamoto-chiho M5.3 (5-)
01:37 JST 16 Apr 2016 01:30 JST 16 Apr 2016 Kumamoto-ken Kumamoto-chiho M5.4 (4)
- Figures in brackets indicate intensity on Japan Seismic scale (1 – 7).