Crop Disasters Declared in Texas, Utah, Oklahoma, Nevada and Hawaii
Posted by feww on April 22, 2016
Extreme weather and climatic events destroy crops in 39 counties across five U.S. states
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) has designated the counties of Hawaii, Kalawao and Maui in the state of Hawaii as crop disaster areas due to damages and losses caused by a recent drought.
Two separate designations have been issued since April 13.
USDA has also designated eight counties in two other states—Nevada and Utah—as crop disaster areas due to drought. Those counties are:
- Nevada. Elko, Eureka, Lincoln, Nye, and White Pine.
- Utah. Juab, Millard and Tooel.
Excessive rain and moisture destroy or damage crops in Texas, Oklahoma
USDA has designated a total of 28 counties in Texas and Oklahoma as crop disaster areas due to damages and losses caused by excessive rain and moisture that occurred from Oct. 23, 2015, through Jan. 10, 2016. Those counties are:
- Texas. Collin, Cooke, Dallas, Delta, Denton, Ellis, Fannin, Franklin, Grayson, Henderson, Hill, Hopkins, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Lamar, Montague, Navarro, Rains, Red River, Rockwall, Tarrant, Van Zandt and Wise.
- Oklahoma. Bryan, Choctaw, Love and Marshall.
i. USDA trigger point for a countywide disaster declaration is 30 percent crop loss on one or more crops.
ii. The counties designated as agricultural disaster areas, as listed above, include both primary and contiguous disaster areas.
iii. Some counties may have been designated as crop disaster areas more than once due to multiple disasters.
iv. The U.S. has a total of 3,143 counties and county-equivalents.
Previous Disaster Designations – 2016:
- Crop Disasters Declared in Montana; Wildfire Emergencies in Kansas, Oklahoma
- Crop Disasters Declared in North Carolina March 31, 2016
- Crop Disasters Declared in Oklahoma, Arkansas and Puerto Rico March 26, 2016
- Crop Disasters Declared in Florida, Georgia March 18, 2016
- Multiple Crop Disasters Declared in Nine U.S. States March 4, 2016
- Multiple Crop Disasters Hit Eight U.S. States February 29, 2016
- Crop Disasters Declared in Montana February 25, 2016
- Crop Disasters Declared in the U.S. States of North Carolina and Virginia February 11, 2016
- Crop Disasters Declared in Two U.S. States February 5, 2016
- Extreme Weather Events Destroy Crops in Georgia & the Carolinas January 24, 2016
- Multiple Crop Disasters Declared in Three U.S. States January 9, 2016
- Agricultural Disasters Index