Deadly Floods Affect Hundreds of Thousands in Sri Lanka
Posted by feww on May 18, 2016
Hundreds of families feared buried by landslides in Sri Lanka, dozens confirmed dead
Extreme rain events have triggered large-scale landslides burying several villages in Kegalle District, about 70 kilometers (45 miles) north of the capital, Colombo.
- At least 200,000 people have lost their homes.
- Up to 60 people were confirmed dead, as of posting.
- Hundreds of families are missing, feared buried by landslides.
- More than a dozen people were killed by lightning strikes.
- At least 19 of the country’s 25 districts have experienced flash flooding.
- Severe flooding reported in several cities including Colombo.