Turrialba Volcano Erupts Violently
Posted by feww on May 21, 2016
TIV, GMR, HPV, PYM
Hell Hath No Fury Like the Primed Costa Rica Volcano!
The powerful explosion, said to be the volcano’s most powerful eruption in 6 years, ejected a thick column of ass and smoke more than 3km into the air.
Hundreds of people have inundated the local hospitals, complaining of breathing difficulties and skin burns, as multiple layers of ash covered the buildings and roads, and a strong stench of sulfur filled the air.
The 3,343-meter Turrialba Volcano, located in central Costa Rica, about 45km east of the capital, San Jose, began activity on Wednesday with the first wave of eruptions occurring on Friday, officials said.
Image source: itsjustaimy
Turrialba has been quiescent since a series of explosive eruptions during the 19th century that were sometimes accompanied by pyroclastic flows. Photo by Federico Chavarria Kopper, 1999. Caption: GVP.
- Country: Costa Rica
- Volcano Number: 1405-07=
- Volcano Type: Stratovolcano
- Last Known Historic Eruption: 1866
- Summit Elevation: 3,340 m
- Latitude: 10.025°N (10°1’30″N)
- Longitude: 83.767°W (83°46’1″W)
- Turrialba Volcano Explodes Again May 13, 2016
- Turrialba Volcano Explodes Raining Ash on Costa Rica Capital March 13, 2015