Strong Quake, Significant Aftershocks Strike Nicaragua
Posted by feww on June 10, 2016
M6.1 quake, aftershocks, strike NW of Managua, Nicaragua
Centered at 12.841°N, 87.013°W [about 17km E of Puerto Morazan,] the mainshock struck at a depth of 10km, reported USGS/EHP.
The quake was followed by at least four, highly localized aftershocks, as of posting.
About a dozen fatalities may have occurred as a result of this event, according to USGS models.
Estimated Economic Losses:
Up to $10 million.
Testimonies [EMSC-CSEM] using Auto-traslation:
- Witness location: Llano La Cruz (Nicaragua) (111 km E from epicenter)
- 30 seconds of extreme ground shaking, followed by aftershocks.
- Witness location : La Ceiba (Honduras) (327 km N from epicenter)
- I was sitting at my dining room table when I felt myself moving , not the things around me as if I was on a boat at sea.
- Witness location : San José (Costa Rica) (449 km SE from epicenter)
- I Felt it!!!
- 4.8 25km S of Somotillo, Nicaragua 2016-06-10 04:33:02 UTC 10.0 km
- 4.6 19km SSW of Somotillo, Nicaragua 2016-06-10 03:45:11 UTC 10.0 km
- 4.8 23km E of Puerto Morazan, Nicaragua 2016-06-10 03:39:31 UTC 10.0 km
- 5.1 24km S of Somotillo, Nicaragua 2016-06-10 03:28:06 UTC 10.0 km
- 6.1 17km E of Puerto Morazan, Nicaragua 2016-06-10 03:25:22 UTC 10.0 km
Other Significant Seismicity
- M6.2 locate at 8.686°S, 160.536°E [20km WNW of Auki, Solomon Islands] 2016-06-10 04:17:44 UTC depth=28.4 km