States of Emergency Declared in Chile amid Major Wildfires
Posted by feww on January 21, 2017
Wildfires plague drought-stricken Chile
Chile has declared a “state of disaster” due to the latest round of wildfires in the drought-stricken provinces of Cardenal Caro and Colchagua, which are also under “agricultural emergency.”
- Wildfires threaten vineyards and wineries in Colchagua Valley, which have been placed on red alert.
- The worst affected areas are Malloa, Marchigüe, Palmilla, Peralillo, Pumanque, Rengo and Santa Cruz.
- More than a dozen blazes have spread across over 135,000 of hectares, according to local news.
- Fire is spreading at a speeds of up to 4,200 meters per hour.
- Smoke and ash are affecting the Chilean capital and largest city, Santiago.
Additional details are available from FIRE-EARTH PULSARS.