FIRE-EARTH Focus: INDIA
Posted by feww on March 9, 2017
India, world’s 63rd poorest country, is the largest importer of major arms
India, with a per capita GDP of $6,658¹, is world’s 63rd poorest nation. However, she is also the largest importer of major arms.
The 34-billion-dollar question:
Why does the most corrupt country in Asia Pacific², and arguably the most polluted place on Earth³, spend so much money buying arms instead of improving social welfare? Is she trying to preserve her way of life, or protect the already depleted natural resources?
- ¹GDP per capita, adjusted for relative purchasing power (PPP), 2016 International Dollars. Data obtained from International Monetary Fund, World Economic Outlook Database, October 2016.
- India’s GDP (nominal) per capita 2016 World Bank: $1,598 (Current USD).
- Central African Republic with a GDP of $656 is the poorest the list of 189 nations.
- ²India Is The Most Corrupt Country In Asia Pacific, Two-Third Of All Indians Have To Pay Bribe.
- ³India, world’s second most populous country, is among the most polluted countries.
- Between 2008 and 2015, India purchased defence [sic] equipment worth $34 billion, while Wahhabi Arabia’s purchase was worth $93.5 billion, according to a report.
This entry was posted on March 9, 2017 at 3:42 pm and is filed under News Alert. Tagged: arms purchase, FIRE-EARTH Focus, India, Public Corruption, social welfare. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.