Yet Another Dust Storm Shrouds Australia’s New South Wales
Less than a month ago, on September 22 – 24, 2009, Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane and much of New South Wales, Australia experienced 100 kph winds whipping up heavy dust storms followed by severe thunderstorms.
“This is unprecedented. We are seeing earth, wind and fire together,” said Australia’s Weather Channel presenter.
The storm was one of the worst dust storms in Australia.
There were more dust storms on the following days. Four days later, on September 26, another intense storm swept eastern Australia, covering much of Queensland and New South Wales across to the Pacific Ocean in a thick blanket of dust.
The dust storms are certain to continue. As temperatures rise, more droughts set in and the winds intensify, all of which trends have long been repeated, the question becomes one of not if, but when the dust storms would bury Sydney.
The dust storm that started the previous day had intensified by the time the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Aqua satellite flew over on October 14, 2009. The large image, which encompasses a wider area, shows that the dust plume stretches tens of kilometers south of the area shown here. NASA Earth Observatory images courtesy Jeff Schmaltz, MODIS Rapid Response Team at NASA GSFC. Caption by Holli Riebeek. [Edited by FEWW]
How Much Dust Would it Take?
Just how much dust would it take, and under what circumstances could it make Sydney uninhabitable?
FEWW Moderators have asked their friends at EDRO to provide a realistic estimate, the details of which would be posted here.
Here’s a link to a reply prepared by EDRO TEAM:
- Image of the Day: Human Excesses
- Australian fires toll may exceed 200
- A Living Hell Heated by Australian Coal
- Torrential Rains Flood Northern Australia
- You want to lose weight without exercise?
- Australian Coal and the Planet
- Vast swarms of locusts sweep across Australia
- Murray-Darling River Communities Are Struggling
- Hell Hath No Fury Like the Australian… Bushfire!
- The day God [sic] washed his hands off St. Andrew’s church
- The Mesopotamian Dust Bowl
- Iraq Faces Environmental Catastrophe
- Riyadh City May Collapse by 2010
- Iraq Ecocide Nears Totality
- Image of the Day: Sandstorm in Saudi Desert
- First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities
- Future Scenarios
- Nuking Earth for Lifestyle
- World Problems: The Root Cause Matrix
- Giga Trends
- World CO2 Emissions
- Look me straight in the eye & tell me you can’t
- Protect Economy from Climate??!
- Blind scientists examining the economic elephant
- How Much Carbon Dioxide Does Your Money Make?
- Cosmic Scale Evil
- Index of Human Impact on Nature
- Carbon Footprint of Your Dollar
- The Billionaires’ contribution to CO2 pollution
- Stop Burning Earth
- Energy: 286W
Australian Oil Disaster Links:
- Australia Fails to Plug Oil Leak in Timor Sea
- Timor Sea Oil Slick: Growing Australian Disaster
- Major Ecological Disaster Underway in Timor Sea
- Australian Oil Disaster May Get a Lot Worse
- The Australian Clean Energy Ruse
- Australia declares ‘natural’ disaster [again]
- Stick the Policies, Stop the Climate Change!