Wildfires consume 3,000 acres, force hundreds to evacuate in drought-stricken Spain
Four major fires have consumed more than 3,000 acres near the town of Lleida in the Pyrenees area, forcing hundreds of people to flee their homes in Spain’s northeastern region of Catalonia.
Disaster Calendar 2012 – March 10
[March 10, 2012] Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016. SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,467 Days Left to the ‘Worst Day’ in Human History
- Catalonia, Spain. Four major fires have consumed more than 3,000 acres near the town of Lleida in the Pyrenees area, forcing hundreds of people to flee their homes in Spain’s northeastern region of Catalonia.
- Spain is experiencing its worst winter drought in living memory.
Spain Drought Maps
Other Global Disasters
- Indiana, USA.The Disaster President has declared that a major disaster exists in the state of Indiana following the fatalities, widespread damage and losses caused by severe storms, straight-line winds, and deadly tornadoes during the period of February 29 to March 3, 2012.
- The worst affected areas are the counties of Clark, Jefferson, Ripley, Scott, Warrick, and Washington.
- Afghanistan. Death toll from avalanches that buried several villages in northeastern Afghanistan’s Badakhshan province has climbed to at least 57.
- The avalanche that buried Shirin Nazem village in Sheky district has left at least 145 others missing, “presumed dead,” the UN said.
- Afghanistan coldest winter in nearly two decades has left hundreds of people dead, including about 100 in Badakhshan province including at least 35 children.
- The cold has also left at least two dozen children dead in refugee camps on the outskirts of the capital Kabul.
- UK. Schmallenberg virus (SBV), aka, ‘deformed lamb’ infection has been identified on 145 UK farms [up from 92 farms on March 2, and 11 farms on January 31, 2012,] AHVLA reported.
- “Nine of the positive cases have been diagnosed in cattle, 136 in sheep, and none to date in other species. Two new counties have reported disease: Leicestershire and Lincolnshire.”
- Germany. Animals on at least 908 farms have been tested positive for Schmallenberg virus, as of March 9, 2012 [up from 847 farms on March 5,] FLI reported.
- Rest of Europe. Numbers of Schmallenberg infection in the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Italy and Luxembourg appear to be heavily under-reported.
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- 2010 Disasters [Links to 2010 Disaster Calendar]
- Mega Disasters
- 2011 Disaster Calendar
- 2012 Disaster Calendar
Recent Drought Links
- Extreme or Severe Drought Covers 3/4 of Portugal Posted on March 4, 2012
- Disaster Calendar 2012 – January 18 – Badakhshan Avalanches
- Record freezing temperatures have left at least 16 children dead at refugee camps outside the capital Kabul – February 13, 2012
- A massive avalanche has obliterated a village in Afghanistan’s north-eastern Badakhshan province – March 6, 2012